BD-240 exhaust manifold

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:58 am

Re: BD-240 exhaust manifold

bedrockjon wrote:I would be interested to know too, by the way 220 manifold is different from 240-264, the ports are bigger diameter & exhaust pipe is bigger diameter

easy way to tell difference is 220 has 2 bolts holding exhaust pipe flange & 240-264 has 3

Thanks for the info.
I have a BD240 with an engine number above engine number 261932, and it has the 3-bolt manifold.

[img]
BD240%20Engine.jpg
[/img]

I am also looking to change the head on the BD240 with a head from a SD220. I did not know about the port sizes being different. I will go and measure them now and see what I have, as it appears I still need to swap the heads.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Attachments
BD240 Engine.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:16 pm

Just to clarify... My comment was not meant as a flame nor dig,just my opinion of something I see consistently which is posts with no facts to back it up.

Awhile back when researching LV8's I found this thread;
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/show ... 198&page=2
The admin's. comments are valid and noteworthy.

Anyway,back to the subject at hand...
I had a thought,since this isn't the first time a like question has been raised it might be time to compile a list.
Some useful info would be the casting pn's from the heads along with the eng. SN it is/was on. Casting numbers don't always match service pn's is my reason. So if anyone can provide theirs it would be appreciated.

Dean,those links are very useful. I found the C263 parts listings using them both. 8-)
I found the exhaust man. does have an offset outlet (to the rear) and that the manifold to manifold gasket is a totally different pn than any I listed but the mounting gasket is the same. So it would seem there's more of a difference with the AG engine then meets the eye(?).
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:46 pm

Quote-"I found the exhaust man. does have an offset outlet (to the rear) and that the manifold to manifold gasket is a totally different pn than any I listed but the mounting gasket is the same. So it would seem there's more of a difference with the AG engine then meets the eye(?)."

All the ag engines I've seen have updraft carbs, so it doesn't surprise me that there are other differences in the manifolds as well.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:34 am

MT-103 head & manifold stuff for info
Attachments
I6 BD INFO 001.jpg
I6 BD 2 001.jpg
I6 BD 3 001.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:17 am

Scottso wrote:Just to clarify... My comment was not meant as a flame nor dig,just my opinion of something I see consistently which is posts with no facts to back it up.

I've stayed out of this. It has come up before. There are pleanty of facts around the Aussi biult 282 that are not avalible to you Scott in the USA. That doesn't mean they don't exist nor that some one from the USA would go looking abroad for them.
There are also AG engines that were never used on the truck side, with different manifolding and acc that were based on the same block lay-out as the 220 block. It would take some work to find what would fit and what wouldn't. Because IHC never intended nor married two parts (so never are shown in parts books) doesn't mean it can't be done. Rodders for years have pushed the envlope by doing such things. In such a case, there is no "proof" unless someone has done it, but untill someone tries it can't be ruled out either. In such cases, parts books can be a start, but not the be-all and end-all of what is possable. It takes a open mind, to find new solutions and new possibilitys.
If a manufacture can adapt a basic design without changeing things like castings, they can save a whole lot of money. If a basic lay out of an engine block can be used (even if deck height changes) the cost saveings are substaintial, allowing "different" blocks to be machined on the same assembly lines. It stands to reason that many part may be interchanged in ways that the mfg didn't invision.
The orignal post was about split exhaust manifolding, One would have to check port size on the 282 engine vs that of the the smaller 6's, but regardless, it is a good bet that it will bolt on either way for the reasons mentioned above.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:22 pm

I've been told that a tilt vale head will bolt directly to a C series block. The antique tractor pullers do this for increased power because of better breathing and increased compression ratio. Because this is not a factory combination, I'm petty sure it would take custom-made pistons. I think I will see someone this Saturday who knows more about this. There is NATPA pull here in the Wichita area.

The diesel head is not a direct bolt on because it has one less head bolt. This is interesting to me because the stock 560 diesel tractor we had on the farm would blow a head gasket about every other year even after having the head planed. I my opinion, IH would have been better off to base the diesel engines on the Blue Diamond series because they have 10 more head bolts than the SD/BD engines.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:42 pm

I belive the medium duty 6 was just about a orphan in IHC by the 60's when the diesels became popular. It dates back to the 30's but by the late 50's it was overlapped by the SV series in both displacement and power. They kept it around until the late 60s but was in very low numbers.
I also believe this is why the Aussi's came up with their own 282. There was little call to bring in a whole new engine family for the aussi market and the small six could be made to fit the bill. The BLD/BD was basicly left to die after the BD 282/308 redesign. As to whether the block would stand the stress of being converted to diesel, we will never know, but any gas converted to diesel, have a bad track record.
Because the FAx series pre-dated the SD by 20 years, and was the smallest IHC DESIGNED six until the SD, there was some overlap. The Medium six was too big physiclly to fit in the lightline, and was a long stroke engine designed for torque, it was ill suited to pick-up duty.
By the late 50's the SV series "dovetailed" into the gap between the light six and larger engines, makeing the BD 282 and 308 redundant.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:21 pm

Dean, I found your chart of engines very intresting.Lots of good info there!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:39 pm

Well,everyone has an opinion and I stand by mine. I also wholly agree with Mr.Donnelly (if anyone even read his comments).
Actually the entire thread is a good read and is why I bookmarked it.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:52 pm

who is Mr. Donnelly? I don't know the real names of hardly anyone here, just their stage names, kind like the girls at the strip club, :t0201:
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S