A Few Unaswered ?'s

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:54 pm

Re: A Few Unaswered ?'s

bedrockjon wrote:
Ethan wrote:
WEW51L110 wrote:Regarding the dash knobs. See the L, R, S thread titled Cold Start. There is a discussion about using the throttle and choke. The other two knobs are probably wipers and cigar/cigarette lighter. Your wipers are likely vacuum operated and are going to take some getting used to as they depend solely on the vacuum from the engine directly in the intake manifold beneath the carb. If by chance they are the electric motor operated wipers you'll be happier. If you wish to get rid of the vacuum unit, Newport Engineering offers an electric motor direct fit and intermittent switches are available. Cost will be a little under $300 including shipping.

somebody made the throttle hole bigger for the lighter so im going to relocate the throttle (which I found the original knob for in my parts bin!) above the ignition switch my truck has so many blasted holes that the guy added in the fire wall the dash and else where that makes me mad, :t0116: and i myself am going with the Newport system because my vacuum pump is shot, i do need the tab and knobs for my new heater though.

I have a nice dash removed from an R series truck with NO extra holes in it, if you have an L, you'd need to drill for the starter button. also may hav
I'll probably just patch and redrill im making mods to it anyway wouldn't want to cut up a nice dash someone may have need of later
e controls for fresh air heater,
Sold the heater long ago, but I think I kept the controls,
1952 L-112 Long Bed BD220 3 speed, 4x4.
1962 Dodge Dart 330, 392 Hemi, T56 6 speed manual.
1986 GMC K1500 Jimmy, 396 V8, 700R4, 208C, 4x4.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:18 pm

The little thingee that drives the wipers, when everything is just right, is in fact a vacuum motor. It is driven by atmospheric pressure. The engine acts like a pump and reduces the pressure in the intake manifold and the restriction from the carburetor is the blockage that makes this happen. The atmospheric air pressure tries to rush into the manifold by what ever path and the vacuum hose, from the wiper motor to the intake manifold just happens to be one path.
If you understand this little event, it might be time to make the next move to how a carburetor works. Always remember, engines pump, and mechanics suck. The same principle applies when you Mother vacuums the house. The vacuum power unit pumps the air out of the hose and other connecting places and the air in the room tries to rush into the hose to even the pressure. The resulting wind from the pressure differential trying to balance itself, carries the dirt and dust into the low pressure area in the hose and away. I'm sure that your Mom is OK, but the person who is not helping her may suck just a little.
This is heavy stuff that conflicts with the commonly accepted bunkhouse BS. But, this is true.
BTW: Next time a vacuum cleaner sales person tries to sell you the newest and greatest machine they will often exaggerate its ability. In the best possible situation it is not possible for a vacuum pump to make a pressure differential greater than the atmosphere which may be around 14.5 psi+/- at sea level.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:48 pm

Here another bit of light engineering that will give someone's brain just a little work-out.
When I converted to electric wipers I took this as a good time to change the wiper's patterns to something that did a better job of covering the windscreen. I drove both wipers off the same motor crank shaft which made both wipers travel from left to right at the same time. The Bell-crank on the left wiper was left the same, but I moved the right wiper drive mounting point up the bell crank just a little, toward the shaft that goes through the cowl. The right wiper is now driven farther in it's arc. This will take some experimenting to get the travel correct. This is not a big deal, really, but it is one of those little thingees that make the truck better. With both wipers following each other to the left and right, and the wipe pattern is nicely overlapped in the centre. Because the right wiper is forced to travel farther it now covers the far right side of the windscreen more completely. This little bit of engineering has another benefit and this is, never again will the wiper blades come in contact and jam when they cross over in the middle. The jam and resulting stall was not big deal with the vacuum motor, but the jam could cause some damage to an electric drive, if not fixed immediately. Do yourself a big favor and pay attention to the wiper timing whether or not you do this modification. Turning the wiper switch off is not an instant fix because the wiper drive will still try and return the wipers to park and the jam may prevent this from happening.
This may not be necessary, I used HEIM joints and aluminum rods which were threaded to connect the HEIM joints. This replaced the original connecting rods and worked really well.
Don't worry, 99% of the persons who look at your Binder will never notice and the 1% who do will really appreciate the change.
Another thing to be careful with is the splines on the wiper drive shaft that goes into the wiper arm. The splines on the shaft and in the arm assembly should be cleaned with care. If there is corrosion, dirt or paint in the splines, either in the wiper or the drive, the fit will be poor and the splines could be stripped. A sharp pointed awl does a good job of cleaning the splines. A little drop of oil on the pivot from time to time is a good idea. As good as WD40 is at many things, it is not a lubricant for this application, but WD40 will help to clean the shaft and bushing surfaces and make the area better able to accept oil.
Do not over tighten. If a person does not have a torque wrench, I often suggest that one finger for 1/4", two fingers for 3/8" and more fingers for 1/2". It is probably not necessary to have 13 torque tools like what has collected in my toolbox, but, unlike the "old daze" a fairly good torque tool can be had for a reasonable price. It is much more important for a novice to have and use the torque tools as part of getting a feel for what is tight enough.
I'll bet the CB89 and B72 have and use torque wrenches and these guys are experienced. Now that I am retired, I use torque tools more often . Even when I was working, 100% of everything was expected to be torqued tight and noted. The torque tools had to be calibrated regularly, which was not all that bad, because the company had "In House test machinery".
After using the torque tool, return the adjustment back to 0.

edited once.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:50 pm

I know this posting has been hijacked all over the place already, but another question on the tach. With all the above discussion on tach parts, were these with a cable leading to the dash tachometer? I noticed in one of the manuals there were 2 kinds of tachometers, one that was cable driven and the other with an electric sending unit. I was thinking what I've seen on the 450 tractors was cable driven. I don't know how the electric sender worked, but I wonder if it would be an easier modification for an SD220, that is, if you could find one.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:22 pm

The electric tach was manufactured by Sun Electric, and it used a "transmitter" box. It's shown in the MT-63 parts book illustrations, Group 8, page B13, Fig. 08-12. In the text, Group 0800F1, the tach is listed as available in either chrome or painted housing, but only with IH part numbers--no Sun part numbers listed.

As far as the wiper "issues" are concerned...if the truck has wiper arms and blades of the correct length, they will NOT come into contact and jam. That only happens if the arms or the blades are longer than original. Unfortunately, some people put on arms or blades that were "close" to original length...but not close enough. And that's when they collide and jam.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:43 pm

My KB-6 had the Sun Tach with the transmitter box mounted on the firewall,

it had some weird looking batteries or something in it the were rotted and oozing a toxic looking goo,

so I removed it and tossed the box, sold the gauge unit on ePay
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:00 pm

IH trucks of the period used cable driven tach's. which are driven from the distributor.
What the AG line used may be different(?) Did the AG line use 6 or 12 volt systems?
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:03 pm

706 tractor would have had a 12 volt electrical system. I have seen tach drives off the end of the generator on Massey tractors. Mechanical drive cable from the end of the gen up to the tach on the dash. I had this on a Massey Super 90 which worked well til the cable or something quit working.
More engine data on the 706 http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... ngine.html
Previous

Return to L, R and S