Oil bath Filter?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Re: Oil bath Filter?

Here I am replying to myself. This is getting to be a lot like being married for 36 years. Anyway, -
Here is a story with some small disaster in it. The business where I was employed for 37 years went from a few hundred heavy vehicles to about 2000 in the last few years. One of the management persons got one of his brain farts mixed up with reality and made the decision to send the used airfilters out for cleaning even though it very clearly said on the filter elements that any method of cleaning is not recommended. So hundreds of the filters were sent out to some BS laundry, washed and returned to service. The engine failure rate went up noticeably in a few weeks. Engines with under 100,000 km were giving all of the signs of older engines that should have over 2 to 3 million kilometers. On one of the full service and inspections that I was given, my apprentice located a bunch of holes that had been punched into the filter element that was in our service cart of parts. These were not some random filter failures, but the holes were clearly made deliberately by someone with a round punch. Each filter had a certificate of performance included in the recycled box. Every certificate varied ever so little but that is to be expected on a reconditioned filter. We went to the parts counter and asked to see a bunch of these filters and after looking at about 100 or so, we were able to determine that each and every one of them had holes punched in the filter medium to get the flow-bench numbers within spec. Needless to say, the contract to clean was cancelled and there was an effort to recover damages. When you think that a "dusted" engine can fail in only a few days in city traffic this was a disaster. Fortunately the detailed vehicle tracking showed which vehicles had ben subjected to the punched out filters and they were recalled and re-filtered immediately. I was told that an 8 litre heavy Diesel can cost over $20 thousand dollars to rebuild. Using the correct service products is so important.
There was a black and white TV series called 'THE NAKED CITY". It ran from 1958 - 1963. At the end of the each show, they would announce, "The Naked City has a million stories and this has been one of them". Don't worry, I keep myself dressed, I don't want to scare the neighbours. too much. I have adult pictures hanging in my shop, they do a more pleasant frightening
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:24 pm

This is some great info!! I was just thinking whether or not I wanted to keep my oil bath filter. I definitely need to replace the oil. Question though: Do I use the same engine oil to pour in there?
Great days begin with fantastic mornings!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:55 pm

DeeJayNOLA wrote:This is some great info!! I was just thinking whether or not I wanted to keep my oil bath filter. I definitely need to replace the oil. Question though: Do I use the same engine oil to pour in there?

Any oil will do I used some 5W30 from a V8 Explorer I used to have, I took the oil bath filter back off untill i get this thing properly running, because the filter was choking the engine
1952 L-112 Long Bed BD220 3 speed, 4x4.
1962 Dodge Dart 330, 392 Hemi, T56 6 speed manual.
1986 GMC K1500 Jimmy, 396 V8, 700R4, 208C, 4x4.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:14 pm

When you change out the oil in an oil bath filter, you also need to rinse the "filter" media very well.
Previous

Return to L, R and S