Looking at 1956 S-130 This Weekend

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Re: Looking at 1956 S-130 This Weekend

I like it. Looks as solid as my S160 and ready to drive home. Of course brakes will be the big factor here. You can spend a lot of money on these trucks to get working brakes.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Speaking of brakes, I gave them a looksee, drums have a little surface rust but hardly any ware, it only has 24K, documented, Titles have mileage. I was told it had brake issues, the owner feels there is something wrong but was not familiar with the system. I too am not familiar with the brake system on this vehicle. Can someone direct me to somewhere i can find more information on how the brakes work?

Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:53 pm

That looks like a solid truck!

This might be a good starter on brakes. http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/fi ... Brakes.pdf

Jump down to page 13 (pdf page, not the manual itself). It has a description of the system.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:36 pm

Thank you all for the help. Looks like I have a hydrovac system. That's why the dude had never seen it before.
Is 4K too much to pay? I know its what ever I'm comfortable with, just wondering what the going rate is.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Skater wrote:Speaking of brakes, I gave them a looksee, drums have a little surface rust but hardly any ware, it only has 24K, documented, Titles have mileage. I was told it had brake issues, the owner feels there is something wrong but was not familiar with the system. I too am not familiar with the brake system on this vehicle. Can someone direct me to somewhere i can find more information on how the brakes work?

Thanks

I just fill the master cylinder (under the cab) and then get someone to pump the brake pedal to build up some pressure while I bleed the system. Once you get the air out you will see where (if) the fluid leaks out. Might be lucky and it is just air causing the problem.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:44 pm

My 2 cents,

You need to be aware that a truck with a hydrovac braking system has a different bleeding sequence that a 'normal' truck. I can't recall for sure, but I think you bleed the hydrovac 1st, then the rest of the wheel cylinders like normal.

If the truck has been sitting for any period of time, most likely all of the wheel cylinders should have kits put in them, or just replaced. They are readily available.

Brakes are very important, since the hardware is over 50 years old, I would not leave any of it to chance. When I got my S130, the brakes did not work so good so I fixed them. Before it was over I had rebuilt the master cylinder, replaced all the wheel cylinders and the 3 soft rubber hoses (the rear uses only 1). While I was at it, it gave me a chance to repack the wheel bearings and replace all of the wheel seals. I know it sound like a lot, but it gives me piece of mind.
My s160 has a hydrovac unit on it and boy, that thing really works.

You mentioned the asking price was 4K. That is a hard one to answer. If the truck was really driveable, I would say it is worth to be able to drive home. However, that is not the case. It appears the truck has been repainted from the aqua green to red, although it looks nice, its not 100% original anymore, does this really matter? That's up to you to decide.
The truck seems to be pretty intact, but you must realize that it will take some time and money bring it up to date on its 'past due maintenance. We know about the brakes, what about the tires? Windshield wipers, do they work? This is a source of aggravation on this truck. It needs a full lube job, there are like a million grease fittings all over the place. Oil the distributor, change the motor oil, might consider the rear end oil as well.

I don't want to discourage you too much, I absolutely love my S132, but I spent 2 years off and on getting it roadworthy after I bought it, sight unseen. I was told it would fire right up and I could drive it home, I'm glad I did not try. FYI, it had 17K miles on it. I hope you can work out a reasonable price that both parties can be happy with, bring it home, and start your new hobby.

If you have not heard of them yet, RockAuto.com is a great place to research and buy parts.

Let us know what you decide to do.
56 S-120 4x4 started the whole mess.
S-132 dually longbed,
S-120 4x4 Travelall,
S144 Forestry truck,
S160 Holmes tow

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:28 pm

It`s a truck in a very good shape and complete. The stearing wheel is not worn. About the brakes, you will find all the that you may become to need.
If it was in my country 4K should be an excelent price for a truck like this one, but in USA ....

I would like that my 1950 L 132 was in such good conditions and complete when I bought it, and for a much higher price.

Jorge

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Nice truck, fair deal.

Like it?
Buy it.
"How the heck did that happen?"

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:57 pm

Thank you all for your advice. Owning an older vehicle isn't just about the car or truck, it's also about the community of fellow owners. Thank you all for taking the time to help a newbie. Your thoughts and advise have helped greatly in my decision to purchase the S-130 and bring it back to its former glory. I plan to be around for a while and hope sometime soon to become a productive member of this forum.

Thanks again

Andy

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Once you get it home, start a Build thread in the appropriate forum. A lot of us started where you are now.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S