Drum Brakes for my '53

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: Drum Brakes for my '53

Thanks fellas. Going to try the Raybestos ones as well as the RockAuto ones. I saw both. Worse case scenario, I'll have to ship something back.
Great days begin with fantastic mornings!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:53 pm

FWIW...
Raybestos lists two variations of the pn mentioned
2316 = PG Plus
2316R = Professional Grade

This is the 2316R and has the dimensions.
http://www.raybestosbrakes.com/magnolia ... mber=2316R

I ask for model numbers because my name is not Carnack! And it DOES make a difference 9 times outa 10!
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:28 am

It's a 1953 International R-110 Travel All (Suburban style/milk delivery wagon/tour van). I ordered 2 from rock auto and they should be here by Thursday. Hopefully with lugs since the ones that were on there have been stripped pretty bad. Thanks for all the help guys.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:39 am

The lug studs are NOT part of the drum.

The hub separates from the drum--some lug studs may be swaged to the drum, but replacements don't need to be--and the studs press out the back side of the hub.

Lug studs are readily available at most auto parts stores. They're 1/2"-20 threads, and I'd take a sample to the parts store to make sure I got the right length [overall length, thread length, AND serration length]. These days I'd replace the LH threaded studs with ALL RH threaded studs...so some impact wrench jockey doesn't start snapping studs off trying to change a left-side wheel, just because he didn't see the "L" in the end of the studs.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:45 am

DeeJayNOLA wrote:It's a 1953 International R-110 Travel All (Suburban style/milk delivery wagon/tour van). I ordered 2 from rock auto and they should be here by Thursday. Hopefully with lugs since the ones that were on there have been stripped pretty bad. Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm a big fan of the travelalls, own/owned quite a few, how long you had yours? where did you get it? got all 3 rows of seats? barn doors or lift/tailgate in back?

I wonder if you get choice of left or right hand threads on wheel studs on these new drums, originally the truck had left thread on one side right thread on the other,

I always had to tell the boys at the tire shop so they wouldn't ultra torque the one side trying to remove them.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:52 am

GUYS...I have purchased new 2316 drums for my '51 L-110....they DO NOT COME WITH HUBS AND LUG STUDS. After all, the same drums fit front AND rear...but the same hubs DO NOT fit front and rear. Front hubs have bearings and races; rears have a keyway to fit the tapered rear axles.

Take a look at the manuals available at John Hansen's site: http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/facts_manuals.html

You will see in the parts manual, AND in the service manual, that the hubs are SEPARATE parts from the drums. PLEASE use the online manuals to get familiar with the parts for your truck; that's why they're posted online, as a service to fellow IH owners.

If you thought you'd also get new hubs and studs when you purchased drums....you're going to be GREATLY disappointed.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:08 am

I've always just turned used drums with hubs attached as repops weren't available back when,

never dealt with new, Please find it in your heart to forgive me of my wayward thinking, I'll try to be better.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:05 pm

bedrockjon wrote:
DeeJayNOLA wrote:It's a 1953 International R-110 Travel All (Suburban style/milk delivery wagon/tour van). I ordered 2 from rock auto and they should be here by Thursday. Hopefully with lugs since the ones that were on there have been stripped pretty bad. Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm a big fan of the travelalls, own/owned quite a few, how long you had yours? where did you get it? got all 3 rows of seats? barn doors or lift/tailgate in back?

I wonder if you get choice of left or right hand threads on wheel studs on these new drums, originally the truck had left thread on one side right thread on the other,

I always had to tell the boys at the tire shop so they wouldn't ultra torque the one side trying to remove them.

I bought it back in November last year. It made a 2 hour 40 mile drive the day I purchased it (from Covington to New Orleans) so looking forward to making more long slow trips with it. Only 1 row of seats put in from 90's Dodge Caravan. However, I'm going to pull it out so that I can fit Mardi Gras Indian suit(s) in it. it has lift/tailgate in back.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:04 pm

Don't get the idea I'm angry with anyone. I just want to nip any misinformation in the bud.

New drums...especially #2316 for the L-R-S-series Internationals--don't include the hubs, bearings, or wheel studs.

I have [inherited] an ancient wheel balancer on which I can balance front wheels, including the hubs if I choose. So I know what you're talking about there. But since I've purchased new #2316 drums, I know that the hubs and studs aren't included...unless you're buying used from the pull-a-part.

So if the original poster is expecting a hub and wheel studs, he's going to be disappointed. That's ALL I'm trying to say. Not trying to flame anyone, not trying to start a fight, not even a little bent out of shape. Just trying to hand out accurate information.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Buzzman72 wrote:Don't get the idea I'm angry with anyone. I just want to nip any misinformation in the bud.

New drums...especially #2316 for the L-R-S-series Internationals--don't include the hubs, bearings, or wheel studs.

I have [inherited] an ancient wheel balancer on which I can balance front wheels, including the hubs if I choose. So I know what you're talking about there. But since I've purchased new #2316 drums, I know that the hubs and studs aren't included...unless you're buying used from the pull-a-part.

So if the original poster is expecting a hub and wheel studs, he's going to be disappointed. That's ALL I'm trying to say. Not trying to flame anyone, not trying to start a fight, not even a little bent out of shape. Just trying to hand out accurate information.

just F'nn with ya, no harm no foul :t0201: 8-)
Last edited by bedrockjon on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S