parts for 1950 L180

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: parts for 1950 L180

Just talked to the fellow in Kansas, they do have around 11 of the sock filters, they will ship. They DO NOT have manuals for sale. He did give me the number for the L180-184 manual(they do NOT have it) it is the MT 68. There are a couple listed on E-bay. I put in : international MT68 in the search.

Lloyd

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:00 pm

Yea it's been several years since I've been there. I didnt think they would have books or sale. They had a stack of books when I was there last but it was in there "library" and I guess there's lots of trucks and I'm sure they don't have everyone. Really, last time I was there they said they had lot and lots of oil filter and I wouldn't think they would have sold that many, kinda makes me mad they don't have more. I was feelin good that I would have plenty for awhile. Should have double checked before getting everyone's hopes up LOL. Sorry.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:02 pm

I was given several cases of IHC books from the parts department and sales ordering when there was the big IHC Dealer Shut Down. There were several other hard cover books that could be called shop manuals. I gave them all to Mike except for the MT-221A parts catalogue. It would appear the this parts book is predominately for the R models, 100,102,110,111,112,120, 121 and 122. The R and L models are what we have It was printed in CANADA, May 28, 1954. There are some interesting "exploded views" which include the TRAVELALL. If anyone needs a picture send your email with the forum contact and I will take and send the pictures you like with BlackBerry.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:14 pm

Was there a parts manual and a service manual or each series? Like I said I need a wiring diagram for my '53 L-180. Anyone know the best place to get this? Lloyd did they say that was the only book there was, or is there a service and parts?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:21 pm

No, that is the Parts manual, I am sure there are other manuals that cover the things you are looking for, IE service. the MT68 is the parts manual. The service manual will probably cover similar vehicles, but IH made separate manuals for service and Parts.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:28 pm

That's what I thought. Don't you think that the wiring diagram would be in the service manual? I need to go up there and talk to them. The one guy has a vast wealth of knowledge.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Dean, MY MISTAKE, I didn't look myself, I will look in my MT-86 which covers a lot of stuff when I get a chance, are you looking to replace every part or specific parts, I think scott has a spreadsheet on that but not sure. Let me know.
kevin

dean466 wrote:Kevin,
I didn't look through it, but according to what's printed on the cover, that manual only covers 1/2 and 3/4 ton models.

Dean

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:30 pm

IHCskilling, Dealing with air brakes is different than hydraulic brakes. You have a compressor, governor, various air valves, brake chambers, and on and on. First off, where are you from? Second, you haven't given enough information. Does the truck run? Does it build air? Can you post pictures? A lot of the valves, brake shoes, brake chambers, etc. are still available. I have large trucks and I'll be glad to help. Most of the cosmetic stuff will interchange whether its an L or R series, 50-54, 110-180. Dan

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Yea I figured and like I said I don't know much about them. Im from Kansas! All I know is that there is a sticker that says something about air brakes and there all kinds of stuff under the cab on the passenger side. Well the truck runs but I'm working on doing a tune up and while it has set on the back burner, the mice have chewed on the wires. When I bought it the guy had it running with a bottle tied up with gas in it. So I know it runs but I didn't get to drive it because of that and the brakes. I had a guy deliver it to me. So all that said my first thing is to re-do the wire, that's why I need the diagram to build one, then the brakes are next. I need the truck next year to haul gravel. What kind of pictures you want? I will take them when I get home from work tomorrow. Thanks Dan I have a feeling I will need a lot of help so we might have to personal email and maybe talk on the phone! LOL!

Brandon

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 am

First, congratulations on your new truck!
I'd say you're fortunate to have air brakes. They should be a lot easier to find parts for than hydraulic, with the possible exception of the compressor. If you can't find a specific direct replacement valve that bolts right in, it isn't hard to retrofit something that performs the same function, just might require a little re-plumbing. I don't know if brake chamber sizes were standardized back then, but if they are the same sizes as today they won't be hard to replace with new off-the-shelf stuff from any heavy truck parts house.
Is the truck going to be used on or off highway?
If the truck runs and the system builds air pressure and all the brakes apply and release properly, you should be fine. Might need to replace the rubber hoses and diaphragms in the brake chambers. I don't remember what the rules are for commercial vehicles, but if it can be shut off with the air pressure at 120psi and doesn't lose more than about .5 or 1 psi per minute, I figure you're doing fine. Apply the brakes with the truck off and listen for air leaks. Again, I can't remember what the rules are, but if the system pressure doesn't drop more than about a pound a minute with your foot on the pedal, I think you're doing fine. The slack adjusters should be set so the rod can't move out of the brake chamber more than an inch. About 5/8" inch of free play is good to set them at.
Does it have a valve in the cab labeled something like "dry road" and "slippery"? Back when this truck was built they figured that you needed to limit the brake application pressure on the front axle to keep from locking the front wheels up on wet pavement. Later on they decided that front wheel traction was pretty much always good and did away with it. When you get the truck driving you probably will decide that it's best to just leave it in the "dry" position.
If you have any old air compressor handy, I like to plumb in a quick coupler in the supply line to the first tank so you can plug the truck in and mess with things without having to have the truck running. Plus, it's handy to be able to air up tires when you're out in the back forty and a front tire is losing air faster than you can get back to the barn.
Those are my thoughts. Dan, CB89 and others might have other views on the subject.
If you can't find the service manual you want, look into a Motor's Truck Repair Manual. You can get them for 10-20 bucks on Ebay. I got an 18th edition which I think is about 1962 for 10 bucks.
Is that a vent or something on top of the hood?
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S