Front disc brakes conversion

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Re: Front disc brakes conversion

@Four-Six; Yes the hubs from a 100/110 will fit on the LRS 120/130 axle. I have started on a disc brake conversion using those hubs on my R130.
Vehicles;
1953 R130
3 X 1952-'54 Austin A40 Somsersets

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:54 pm

I wonder is\f the six stud pattern is big enough to fit around the center hub of the five stud rotor. If so, maybe a machine shop could be persuaded to make a plate adapter. I am finding it increasingly difficult to get a machine shop to do any steering modification because they are afraid of the liability.
I wonder if a GM or Ford front hub cold be adapted to the Binder spindle??? It might take some time with a good parts book to find the inner and outer bearing parts to make it work. I didn't feel like putting the effort into a disc brake adapt on the original axle, so I decided to go with a modern Dana Axle with disc brakes and 4X4. While not original, these old Binders look really good with a little lift to clear the front axle. The rear axle refit is as easy as moving the mounts around to fit the IH springs. The front fit-up takes just a little more imagination and fabrication. I have never had any trouble finding a divorced NP205 transfer case. Adapting a 205 to any transmission is just parts and some cross member fabrication. I have often wondered if a later model transmission with a transfer case mount might fit a binder engine. I guess that just about anything can be done, if - - - - - . I'm thinking that a clutch disc with the correct splines and adapter rings to center the new transmission, or having a machine shop fly-cut the back of the IH clutch housing to fit. If I were just starting out, I would be all over this idea, but I am looking at winding down in the not too distant future. For me the chase was the best part. A close second was the fabrication. It usually started off with someone suggesting, "You cannot get there from here". I did.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:51 am

I know what you mean as I took a frontwheel drive engine and made it go rearwheel drive. They told me it couldn't be done.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio
Previous

Return to L, R and S