A Few Unaswered ?'s

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:15 am

A Few Unaswered ?'s

I've recently become the proud owner of a 1953 R-110 Travel All and can't find the answers to a few questions. :m03104:
1. Why does the air filter element have oil inside of it?
2. Where can I find an emblem for the grille and where do I find bumpers?
3. Where do I find information about all the buttons and pulls on the dash?
4. I've been told that the wiggling at 45-55 mph is because I need to replace the 'king pins' on both sides of my steering box?

:t1812: [/img]

Thanks in advance!!
Attachments
1953 International Harvester Jenny front.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:55 am

Re: A Few Unaswered ?'s

Looks like your Travelall is in pretty good shape. You'll be able to get much help on this site. Not sure of you mechanical skills, so be prepared for some responses that go into detail. I have some general answers to your questions:
1. The oil bath air cleaner is the technology of that time and worked quite well. Messy to change the oil, but effective at keeping the air filtered. There were some questions and descriptions of operation in another thread recently. Just go to the L, R, S section and search back a couple of months and you should find the relevant topic.
2. Diligence, my friend, diligence. Emblems are one of the items you'll need to search for and forum members may have readily available extras they can negotiate with you and bumpers are the same. Good examples of either are really scarce and very few sources outside of members can produce them. You might go to travelallparts.com, binderplanet.com and I'm sure other members can chime in some sources. Good luck. The sites won't always produce the results you're looking for. Diligence and patience will need to be your best friends.
3. Not sure your intent with this question. Do you need ones to put on your dash or do you need explanation of their use.
4. King pins again are the technology of that day, and they are still critical elements of suspensions on large trucks with beam (straight) axles. When beam axles went away and independent front suspensions became the technology, king pins went with them. Wiggling at 45-55 mph may possibly be the result of worn king pins and may be accompanied by worn tie-rod ends and other elements of the suspension system under your truck. Chances are the parts could all stand some refreshing. Unless you have specific knowledge about these parts (are an experienced mechanic), it would be best to have that front end gone over by a competent front end shop with knowledge about the old technology. Once they've eliminated the wiggling, you'll be driving pretty straight, but the suspension will still be the way it was with beam front axles.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:50 am

I really need to know what all the buttons do? Thanks for your responses!
Great days begin with fantastic mornings!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:48 pm

If memory serves well, there is a cluster of 4 knobs, lights, wipers, choke and throttle. You may also have 1 or 2 knobs below the dash over by the glove box. These are for the heater. Are your knobs marked? If not, I'm sure someone has a picture of a completed dash (mine is disassembled). Are you familiar with how choke and throttle function?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:06 pm

restorationspecialties.com has all the weather stripping parts youll ever need with some other pieces too,
1952 L-112 Long Bed BD220 3 speed, 4x4.
1962 Dodge Dart 330, 392 Hemi, T56 6 speed manual.
1986 GMC K1500 Jimmy, 396 V8, 700R4, 208C, 4x4.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Regarding the dash knobs. See the L, R, S thread titled Cold Start. There is a discussion about using the throttle and choke. The other two knobs are probably wipers and cigar/cigarette lighter. Your wipers are likely vacuum operated and are going to take some getting used to as they depend solely on the vacuum from the engine directly in the intake manifold beneath the carb. If by chance they are the electric motor operated wipers you'll be happier. If you wish to get rid of the vacuum unit, Newport Engineering offers an electric motor direct fit and intermittent switches are available. Cost will be a little under $300 including shipping.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Yeah I'm aware of how the choke and throttle work :roll: (JK). But I have some other pull switches (2), a push button, I figured out which one is the wiper (need new ones b/c one of the arms broke off, and yes they're a few over by glove box.
Great days begin with fantastic mornings!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:28 pm

Four switches /knobs clustered together would be wipers, lights, choke, and throttle. On my '52 L-112, someone has added a lighter--with the correct knob!--in the center of the top row, just above the ignition key switch.

On the L-series, the push button for the starter was located to the left of the steering column on the dash, near the bottom.

The heater knob [or knobs, depending on the type of heater] would be located below the glove box, on a separate metal tab attached below the dash.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Bedrock John on this forum is the T'all expert. He has four now and has had dozens. MAGIHC MIKE TRUCK PARTS magihc1.net has lots of parts
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:07 pm

WEW51L110 wrote:Regarding the dash knobs. See the L, R, S thread titled Cold Start. There is a discussion about using the throttle and choke. The other two knobs are probably wipers and cigar/cigarette lighter. Your wipers are likely vacuum operated and are going to take some getting used to as they depend solely on the vacuum from the engine directly in the intake manifold beneath the carb. If by chance they are the electric motor operated wipers you'll be happier. If you wish to get rid of the vacuum unit, Newport Engineering offers an electric motor direct fit and intermittent switches are available. Cost will be a little under $300 including shipping.

somebody made the throttle hole bigger for the lighter so im going to relocate the throttle (which I found the original knob for in my parts bin!) above the ignition switch my truck has so many blasted holes that the guy added in the fire wall the dash and else where that makes me mad, :t0116: and i myself am going with the Newport system because my vacuum pump is shot, i do need the tab and knobs for my new heater though.
1952 L-112 Long Bed BD220 3 speed, 4x4.
1962 Dodge Dart 330, 392 Hemi, T56 6 speed manual.
1986 GMC K1500 Jimmy, 396 V8, 700R4, 208C, 4x4.
Next

Return to L, R and S