New Toy 54 R100

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:20 am

Re: New Toy 54 R100

cornbinder89 wrote:Looking at the label, 12 volt + goes to the red wire, black is neg. The yellow is 6 pos and again black is neg. Hook the red to switched positive and hook your 6 volt loads to the yellow, both blacks go to ground.
Gauges, and heater? are likely to be 6 volt. IIRC that year uses vacuum wipers, so nothing needed for them.
So to replace the resistor, one of the wires will be 12+ and one of the wires will be the 6 volt loads.

I got the red being positive and the black is negative or ground, So my own clarity, of the two red wires coming from the resister, that go directly to the battery, I connect the red lead from the battery to the red lead on the new unit and the other red lead from the battery to the yellow lead on the new unit?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:57 am

NO! there shouldn't be two wires going to the battery, one of those red wires should go to 6 volt loads. You do have a 12 volt battery right? I can't tell exactly what is going on from this end of the keyboard.
Normally you wouldn't connect straight to the battery, it would be switched power coming from the ign switch.
This is why I hate "conversions", you have to figure out what the previous person did or did not do.
It all depends on what he "converted" to 12 volt. Most people change the light bulbs and if you are lucky the ign coil, those are the easiest to change, go to a parts store and buy 12 volt versions of those items. If he did not change the ign coil,, it will run but fail esp on a high speed run.
Things like heater motors, wiper motors and gauges don't get changed, because it is not easy to do so. Those items are what you want to run off the 6 volt feed. (If he hasn't already burned them out)
You are going to have figure out what he did and didn't do before wiring in that reducer.
If electrical isn't your strong suit, you are going to need a set of hands that can do that kind of work.
To convert a vehicles electrical system from one voltage to another, you need to address EVERYTHING that is connected to it, if you (or the previous owner) didn't, you have a mess that is neither one or the other, and is much less reliable then factory 6 volt system.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:20 am

cornbinder89 wrote:NO! there shouldn't be two wires going to the battery, one of those red wires should go to 6 volt loads. You do have a 12 volt battery right? I can't tell exactly what is going on from this end of the keyboard.
Normally you wouldn't connect straight to the battery, it would be switched power coming from the ign switch.
This is why I hate "conversions", you have to figure out what the previous person did or did not do.
It all depends on what he "converted" to 12 volt. Most people change the light bulbs and if you are lucky the ign coil, those are the easiest to change, go to a parts store and buy 12 volt versions of those items. If he did not change the ign coil,, it will run but fail esp on a high speed run.
Things like heater motors, wiper motors and gauges don't get changed, because it is not easy to do so. Those items are what you want to run off the 6 volt feed. (If he hasn't already burned them out)
You are going to have figure out what he did and didn't do before wiring in that reducer.
If electrical isn't your strong suit, you are going to need a set of hands that can do that kind of work.
To convert a vehicles electrical system from one voltage to another, you need to address EVERYTHING that is connected to it, if you (or the previous owner) didn't, you have a mess that is neither one or the other, and is much less reliable then factory 6 volt system.

Battery.jpg
Battery

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:23 am

jemiller33 wrote:
cornbinder89 wrote:NO! there shouldn't be two wires going to the battery, one of those red wires should go to 6 volt loads. You do have a 12 volt battery right? I can't tell exactly what is going on from this end of the keyboard.

Battery.jpg

I've been out of action for a bit, just getting out of the VA hospital. I see the battery uploaded. I hope my absence has corrected being able to upload images.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:27 am

jemiller33 wrote:
jemiller33 wrote:I've been trying to upload a picture to show the cone shape item, with pin that needs to be removed in order the remove the vent window.

One of the minor things I'm doing is replace vent window rubber seals and a passenger side door glass. I of the vent windows I have (3 sets), all of the rubber seals are in bad shape. Some harder than others and brittle.

It appears to me that the cone shape pivot has to be removed and the pin driven out. Am I on the right track? Does anyone know of a good method to remove these items? I've soaked it a little in WD-40 and nothing has budged. What is your best recommendation for rusted parts to be freed, such as this? I know I'll have more stuff to free up later. One being the driver door top hinge to install a hinge mirror.

I see the verbiage got through, but no images. Frustrating!

20230321_184636.jpg

I came back later to try and upload.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:24 am

jemiller33 wrote:
jemiller33 wrote:
jemiller33 wrote:I've been trying to upload a picture to show the cone shape item, with pin that needs to be removed in order the remove the vent window.

One of the minor things I'm doing is replace vent window rubber seals and a passenger side door glass. I of the vent windows I have (3 sets), all of the rubber seals are in bad shape. Some harder than others and brittle.

It appears to me that the cone shape pivot has to be removed and the pin driven out. Am I on the right track? Does anyone know of a good method to remove these items? I've soaked it a little in WD-40 and nothing has budged. What is your best recommendation for rusted parts to be freed, such as this? I know I'll have more stuff to free up later. One being the driver door top hinge to install a hinge mirror.

The attachment 20230321_184636.jpg is no longer available

Badge.jpg
R100

The door tag and title says R100, but the badge outside just says 100.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:32 am

jemiller33 wrote:
jemiller33 wrote:

The attachment Pax window-vent.jpg is no longer available

I replaced the window and vent window seal on the passenger side.

Attachments
Pax window-vent.jpg
Pax window-vent.jpg (40.53 KiB) Viewed 2038 times

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:55 am

I started to remove the vent window and glass to replace the rubber seal and discovered an imposter. It appears the driver door is not as original as other things. Even the window channel is a different size than the passenger side.

20230403_183900-cropped-resized.jpg
Door

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:33 am

These are some shots I did not get to post when I first started this thread.

20230218_091229-cropped-resized.jpg
Pass side

20230218_123335-cropped-resized.jpg

20230218_123349-cropped-resized.jpg
Frontal

20230319_174951-resized.jpg
Inside

20230218_122526-resized.jpg
Seats

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:06 am

These are supposed to be the original seats. They are crusty enough to be, but in pretty good shape.
I'm contemplating going back to the original bench.

original seats-2.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S