3 on the tree steering column

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:42 pm

3 on the tree steering column

I am looking for a 3 on the tree steering column for a R110 or S100 truck. I am pretty sure they are the same. There were two versions I believe. One version with the shift linkage shaft in the steering tube and one where the shift linkage shaft is separate shaft outside the column. I am needing one where the **** linkage is inside the column. If you have one on a chassis and can spare it I would really appreciate it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:48 am

Re: 3 on the tree steering column

I don't know if you have a manual, will post a link. I recall something about the transmissions and columns have to match. I like the T-19A 4 speed close ratio, a pleasure to drive.
http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/fi ... ssions.pdf

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:22 am

Long story on this one. I picked up a chassis for nothing with a good running 240 engine. It happened to have a 3 speed with overdrive and complete column. There was a guy needing one so I sent him mine with other parts he wanted. It ends up there is something mechanically wrong with the shift linkage inside the column. He said the column is correct and linkage is perfect. He is not online so I told him I would try and find one. He knows I did not purposely mislead him but I still feel bad. His truck I guess originally had the column with the shift linkage outside the column. I was glad the trans and overdrive went to a good home. I had never seen one of those. How easily does the steering column detach from the steering box? I have never had one apart. Still looking for one by the way.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:04 am

I am pretty sure I still have one. From an R100 with the 3 speed overdrive. I don't recall how much of the shift linkage is still attached, but it was internal to the tube. Once the steering wheel is off, they detach from the steering gear by just loosening the clamp and sliding them up.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:47 pm

Paul, I do not need the attached linkage or the steering box. Just the column. If you do still have it please let me know.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:54 am

It will be a couple weeks before I'll have a chance to get over to take a look, if that's okay.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:02 am

Like I said. I am trying to find a replacement for what I sold a guy as he is not online. Have a few other feelers out. It sounds like what you have might work. The truck he has is incredibly nice so is wanting the housing around the blinker controls and shifter are to be decent. At least not cracked. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:08 pm

I just sent him the proper speedometer cable for overdrive units, ends up it needs a new cable insert but those are available.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:04 pm

Jon, I had heard that. I found him another column and he has that installed so he is good on that. He is looking for a couple other small parts now.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:28 pm

I have a borg warner overdrive service manual somewhere, have to dig it up.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to L, R and S