Front Drums

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:07 pm

Front Drums

Hi, not been on here in a while.......i looked for info on front brake drums but did not see what i am looking for but am sure it will be there. To save time and unnecessary strip down, can someone please tell me on a 51 L112 if the front hub and drum is removeable by loosening off the outer bearing locknut and then removing the drum and hub as an assembly, in order to gain access to shoes and cylinder etc? Or is the setup different/more involved, needing special service tools etc? My front brakes are locking up on initial applications and then not locking but pulling to one side after a short distance. I am thinking either the pull off springs may be weak and or a stuck or leaking cylinder but need to investigate further.

While on the subject of brakes is there possibly a known master cylinder that will convert single to dual lines without much fabrication?
Thanks, Paul.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2
68 TORINO GT INDY 500 PACE CAR

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:20 am

Re: Front Drums

Back the shoes off as far as possible before trying to remove the drums. Then you are correct - remove the hub and drum as one assembly. At least originally, the drums were swaged on the studs, so you'll probably need a swage cutter or a small hole saw without the pilot drill to cut them if you want to remove the drums from the hubs.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:24 pm

OK, Thats great, thanks for your reply.....so a conventional (as in the same as a more modern) setup then. Remove split pin, locknut and outer bearing and so long as shoes are backed off, should pull off to enable inspection of shoes, cylinders etc ? Thanks, Paul.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:10 am

Is there a repair manual somewhere to download for the L110/12/20? thought i remembered seeing one here in the past?......
I tried to post some pics here but it said they were too big........Can anyone confirm please on a 51 L112 if the front brake shoes should have the longer or shorter section shoe toward the front of the truck? Mine has the longer section of friction material in front of the cylinder (leading shoe) where the piston pushes and the shorter one to the rear of the cylinder (trailing shoe), so when operated, the shoe with the longer friction material pushes against the drum first.
I havent got to check the other side of the front brakes yet but am wondering if the way i described may be why the brake grabs on the side i am currently looking at? and if shoes should be on the opposite way round?
Also, does anyone know the spec the drums can be skimmed to (minimum thickness) as these are grooved. 12 inch drums internal diameter.
Thanks, Paul.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:03 pm

Long shoe to the rear.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:06 am

Thanks, I did think the same but thought would ask here.... will change them round and try it, shoes dont look bad but think will replace the wheel cylinder(s), will maybe order shoes and cylinders......got severeal chilton and motor repair manuals going back to the 50's but no IHC anywhere in them.
Took a quick look at your road trip visits, really interesting, love the IHC and early Corvette, color really suits the Corvette.
Paul.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:46 am

Return to L, R and S