Rearend bearings

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Rearend bearings

I've got the axles out of the housing, really not wanting to dig deeper into this, but I am pondering the bearings inside the differential.
How difficult are they to replace and would it involve setting backlash and or other out of my comfort zone tasks. (another dumb question ).

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:18 pm

Re: Rearend bearings

The only dumb question may be the one you do not ask. CB 89 will know better how to answer your situation. .
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:23 am

There are 4 or 5 bearings inside most diffs, 2 carrier bearing and 2 pinion bearing , all taper roller, and some have a spigot (or pocket) bearing to support the inner end of the pinion.
All require dis assembly of the diff and bearing splitters and a press to replace and re setting the preload and tooth contact pattern.
Unless you have some indication of a problem, (noise that changes power on to power off) or the unit sat full of muddy water, leave them be.
The thing that kills diff's more than anything is lack of lube. as long as the unit is run with the proper amount of oil, the bearings are bathed in a constant supply of fresh oil kicked up by the rotating ring gear.
Since IHC used a drop-out center section (hogs head, 3rd member or what ever name you want to call it)
Vendor supplied axles (Dana) were not this way. if there is a problem, it is easy to pull the center section and deliver it to a gear shop that has the tools and expertise to do the job.
Its not hard, but requires tools most don't have and either enough experience to set by feel, or the special tooling to set by the book.
axle bearings, sit way out at the end of the tubes, and are either greased or run in oil once it gets out there, they are much more likely to fail from lack of lube than the diff bearings.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:10 pm

Music to my ears ! Thanks for the post, now I must ask about shimming the axle bearings.
Is there a set number of said thickness or set by
dial indicator with varying thickness as needed to achieve a predetermined endplay tolerance.
The book shows 3 shims but doesn't elaborate on the process. The ones I pulled out were all the same thickness.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:55 pm

shim to get stated endplay.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:18 pm

Agree with CB. I had the 3rd member out of the IH axle on my S. Thought I would change out the two pinion and two carrier bearings, then thought better of it, and left it alone.

A search should turn several good threads on shimming the rear axle. My axles had no end play. Tighter than a drum, though they did turn. Found one paper thin shim. I had to make my own shims and got to .005-.006 end play. Calling it good right there.

Return to L, R and S