one hard start when hot solution

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:10 pm

one hard start when hot solution

First international live and learn,,so I've had my truck running for a few weeks now, only problem i had is it won't start when its warmed up. wait 15 minutes and it will start. Cables are 00, 6 volt positive ground. I read all the posts on here about the problem and have agreed with all suggestions and have checked all out. this is what i found on my truck. after reading posts and looking at pictures of international starters i think that the solenoid on the rebuilt starter is wrong, it looks like a ford solenoid, the pics i see on here show a bigger solenoid. also the rebuild shop clocked it wrong. solenoid is on the bottom of the starter. so i made a heat shield out of a hose clamp and a old license plate. It made a difference, I bought a starter heat shield blanket from Summit Racing. It just wraps around the starter and is secured with Velcro. Truck now starts at any temp, turn the key, push the button. Now my question, is the original solenoid available? I have thought about remotely mounting the solenoid that i have. blanket works very well but i don't like the look of it I would much rather reclock the starter and go back to the old type solenoid. But as long as i can jump in my truck and go , I can live with iy :D

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:18 pm

Re: one hard start when hot solution

sorry i should have stated that the truck would not crank when warm, stater would engage but would barely turn engine over or not at all

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:36 pm

Rb, by Ford solenoid you mean???
Ford starters used a "movable pole shoe" starter with remote starter relay for years. No solenoid mounted on those starters. Before that Ford used the "bendix" style starter flywheel engagement. Still no directly mounted solenoid. Remote starter relay or starter pedal.
On my C, D and K series I ran a remote Ford starter relay with stock starter and a Standard US 100 starter switch. Everything fit like it was meant to be there.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Sorry Monsonmotors it reminds me of a Ford solenoid. I will post a pic asap

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:30 am

Seems these problems have been around for quite a while...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:17 pm

rbelgum- do you have a summit racing part # for the heat shield blanket? I looked on the Summit Racing Website and could not find it. Thanks.- Stickman207

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:42 am

here is the Part Number: SUM-350118-1e of the one I bought. They have several, search for ( starter heat shield wraps. )

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:24 am

Thanks. - Stickman 207

Return to L, R and S