240/269 Motor Swap Help Please

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon May 02, 2016 12:12 pm

240/269 Motor Swap Help Please

I'm am going to look at a '54 International R-160 that had a 240 in it. Guy said it was a good truck till the motor was pulled because its needs rebuilt. I have a '51 L-180 that has a good 269 in it. I bought it running but needed brake work havent got around to fixing it or trying to even find parts for it and mice have chewed the wiring so it will need re-wired and brakes now. My question is will the 269 bolt to the tranny in the '54 R-160? My thoughts are to buy the R-160 and put the motor out of the L-180 in to it. But just need to know it if will bolt in or at least bolt to the transmission? The R-160 is straight and i love that year of grill so id maybe go as far as swapping the entire motor/tranny/pto if i have to but would rather just swap the motor. Any help would be great thanks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Re: 240/269 Motor Swap Help Please

Totally different block. Mounts different, different trans and bell. Can it be done? sure but look at it like replacing the 240 with a Ford 300. The 269 is a medium truck engine, taller, longer and slower speed than the small sixes. It is built for pulling not economy, doesn't have a vacuum advance nor does the carb lean out at cruise.
Most likely a fair bit of fab work required to get it working. Why not rebuild a small six? there are plenty out there, people are pulling them every day for V-8 swaps.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon May 02, 2016 3:59 pm

They are both dump/grain trucks. That is what they are going to be used for. I want it for pulling and not economy. It's going to be worked. Not cruised, but driven 8 miles back roads to the rock quarry and back and around the property. I need this running ASAP. I have a running motor and it would be easy to stick in a truck thats ready to go. I dont want to spend the time and money to rebuild a motor. I need the quickest cheepest way. Not worried about fabbing mounts or anything like that, thats easy stuff. Mainly wanted to know if the motor would bolt to the trans. I need to look at the two next to eachother and see, might swap motor and trans. that would be cheepest thats why I'm considering it. Have a good drive train just swap it in to the good to go truck. I think I'm going to buy the truck any ways he only want $750 for it and it's straight and clean and I really like that grill style.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 02, 2016 4:10 pm

Quickest and cheapest is to go back with what came out. The devil is in the details. The engines mount totally different, the cross members will be different. As to the trans no way to know as you didn't say if they are the same model trans or not.
If time is a big concern then search for a running small 6 and drop it in. Engine swaps can't be rushed.
Cooling system will be different, possibly radiator mounts different.
As I said the engines are different length and height, so almost nothing will be in the right place, clutch and throttle linkage will need to be re designed.
If you are set on putting the 269 in, I would swap complete with trans, that eliminates one headache.
What about rear ratio? Will it match the 269 operating range? The 240 would be geared to turn faster then the 269.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 02, 2016 4:21 pm

I can't put it plain're than this: They WILL NOT BOLT IN PLACE OF EACH OTHER. They are two different engines, as different as a Ford 300 is from the IHC 240. Yes, it can be done, but very little will be quick and easy to do.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 02, 2016 5:00 pm

put in a SD-264 or a BD-265, same block, bolt right in, only 4 cubic inches less than a 269
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 02, 2016 7:34 pm

Lets see if I got this straight. You don't know what trans they have but you want an answer if they have the same bolt pattern despite the fact that IHC used transmissions from new process, warner, fuller and clark., you don't have time to fix the wiring and brakes on the truck with the 269 but have the time to fab new crossmembers , clutch and throttle linkages and re wire for the new engine, and are offended that someone would bring that up.
I would suggest if you are that impatient, you get off the computer go out and look at what you have and what you are thinking of doing.
I'm done :t10512:
Edit: Note, there was a post since deleted between this one and BRJ's

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue May 03, 2016 4:52 pm

Installing another small 6 would probably be the fastest and cheapest way - if you can find one. I know that around my area there aren't many good ones available unless you buy a whole truck.
As for he swap you'd probably have to drop the whole drive train from the L180 in there. If you've given up on the 180 then maybe you could swap the crossmembers and mounts too. For slow farm duty (read: "no frills") I would think a handy fellow could do it relatively easily. Get your tape measure out there and see if the parts will actually fit without excessive panel cutting and go from there. You know best what your limitations are.

I think it would be a pretty cool truck if you can make it happen. Please post some pics if you can. Good luck!

Ps: Don't stop posting. There are a lot of nice guys on this board who really know their stuff. Not all of us will attempt to "straighten you out". ☺

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 03, 2016 5:31 pm

I agree, telling someone "the stove is hot". Is a bad idea. :t10512:
When someone is asking for advice, the correct answer may not be what they or anyone else wants to hear. Forums are over populated with too many fragile persons who think they know something. Some of the mechanics of getting a truck together may require expert help from a trained monkey. Just because someone owns an old truck does not make them into a mechanic any more than standing outside a bakery will make a person into a baker.
A person should get out their tape measure and use it, just like the person with the best advice has done.
A forum, such as this, should be helpful hints, only. It is not an apprenticeship.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 03, 2016 8:14 pm

qsEkN1459903117.jpeg

Return to L, R and S