Too Much Rake?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:46 pm

Too Much Rake?

Got back in the garage the last few weekends. That -30 windchill crap didnt agree with me. Im ready for wrenching, grilling, and the beverages involved with both!

My new perches are a bit tall. Gives the truck a slight rake.The wife likes it, just want to make sure it doesnt look ungodly. Sterling (ford) 9.75 rear axle, 66.9 inch wms. It fits the R, barely.

After taking the drive shaft out, the angle finder tells me the eng/trans are at about 1.5 degrees. Is that enough of an angle or am I going to have to remove the perches and knock them down a bit?

Yeah its close.... shot taken from behind rear fender.

Steering issue with oem ford rims. 17x7.5 +44mm offset (5.7 backspace).
1954 R-120
Ford 6x135 converted disc brakes.
9.75 rear axle.
220 cubic inches of pleasure.
A Dobie approved Project.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:45 pm

Re: Too Much Rake?

Looking really good.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:20 am

1)The engine and trans now sit at 1.5 degrees. Is this going to present any under the hood issues I might not be thinking of?

2)Not exactly sure how im supposed to measure drive shaft length on this one. I have never seen a slip shaft drive shaft like this, used to seeing slip yokes as per modern stuff. Best i can figure I have to measure from the axle flange yoke to the mount pads where the unique IH ujoint assemblies bolt to the transmission. Covered in dirty grease those locking tabs took a few minutes to "discover"..

3)The 04 f150 that we are changing parts over too leave 1 caveat, we do not want to touch an 04 drive shaft. Some "genius" at the truck plant figured they could cut to people from the line by pressing in the ujoints. They call this staking. When u joints had to be changed people flipped out when they had to buy $1,100 drive shafts, for a 25 dollar set of ujoints. this was remedied in mid 2005. So to shorten the story, I got a 2008 drive shaft for the flange yoke and shaft end. C-clips good!! The only downside is the shaft seem to be quite different in size. This may get a little costly at the shaft shop.

4) the steering issue is wierd. The drivers side wheel does everything it needs too. But the passengers side can turn all the way to the right until it hits the inner fender. But turning to the left the steering linkage contacts the rim as seen above. We have plenty of room in the front for different backspace, but matched rims for the rear, would make them stick out more than in the above picture.
1954 R-120
9.75 rear axle.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:56 am

Inland Empire driveline in California have a very good description of driveline setup.
Google can be your best friend, if you use it. Try Google for inland empire. You may also Google how to measure for a drive shaft.
It works, I just tried.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks for the tip on that particular shop. I had found a few different sites, but none of them showed the slip shaft. I think we need to get the 220 it tip top shape next. Tune up parts, and get fuel flowing again. I think that electric pump attached to the gas tank is sucking up nothing but rust causing the fuel filter housing to not even fill up. He never put a low pressure regulator on as well. Assuming the 1904 runs at 3psi like early stromberg style carbs. Could just replace the mechanical pump, but I dont know if its the pump or the concentric drivers for the arm.
1954 R-120
9.75 rear axle.

Return to L, R and S