Diamond 220 Engine

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed May 21, 2014 11:11 am

Diamond 220 Engine

ALL: After a loooong hiatus, I have returned to the never-ending restoration of my 1952 IHC PU. The water pump on the 220 is inop, but the ones I have seen on ebay don't look like mine: the radiator hose connection appears to be slightly angled downward, while mine is straight - is this the only difference?? I can make that small issue become a non-issue, but don't want to purchase a new water pump only to find that they were different for different years. I guess the question is actually: is the water pump the same for all Diamond 220 motors??
Warm Regards, Marcus

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 21, 2014 7:36 pm

Re: Diamond 220 Engine

I'll take a stab at this. I think the water pumps are all basically the same for the 220/240/264 engines. The differences are in the number of outlets. If you have an SD, the heater hose runs from the left, above the inlet? neck, over the top of the engine, and that pipe thread hole is all that's needed. The BD series used a bypass hose to the water neck, and ran the heater hose out of the back side, or passenger side of the pump. If you put one of those on an SD, it's just a matter of putting pipe plugs in the holes you don't need to use. I'd suggest getting a water pump with three or four holes and you can't go wrong. If I'm off base on it, others will chime in.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu May 22, 2014 12:26 pm

I know we all have purchasing preferences and I have no idea how good of a deal you are seeing on ebay. But after checking a few sites, water pumps for these engine are pretty available in parts stores for pick up or ordering. I personally prefer a place I can easily return it if its the incorrect item or there is a problem with it.

Again, just my preference.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat May 24, 2014 8:48 am

I was looking for a water pump for a BD 240. Looked like quite a few sources for it. You also could have yours rebuilt. I needed a water pump for a 292 Y block, but could not find one with the high fan mount. Sent it out for a rebuild. The did a good job. Wasn't cheap though.

Return to L, R and S