Have you hauled your truck on a trailer?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Re: Have you hauled your truck on a trailer?

your F150 with 5.0 with a factory tow package should be good. I have a similar truck, but 4 wd. you should not need anything special other than the uhaul trailer comes with. you should be good to go. I have done similar for long hauls (900+ miles) up and down hills, no problem.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Here's another watchout. I typically tow a 12 ft 2 axle trailer. But last year I rented a 2 axle U-Haul trailer with surge brakes and noticed how low the tongue rides with my same ball hitch. Take a big wrench with you in case you need to turn your hitch upsidedown to give a little more ground clearance.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:41 am

Noted!! Thanks guys for all the help. What seems like a lifetime ago, my dad gave me advise on trailers since he was a truck driver in the '50's and early '60's and I've tried to remember as much of that advice as I could. He past away in '85 so, I don't have that resource anymore. One thing I've always tried to accomplish with any trailer pull event, is to make sure the trailer is at least slightly heavy on the tongue end. (60/40 is the weight bias I've seen) If the trailer is tilted with the tongue up, it will tend to want to fishtail. Can't say how many times traveling I've seen proof that is true. Saw one car pulling a trailer with the tongue higher than level and when the driver went into emergency stop the trailer wanted to go one side or the other pushing the car with it. Apparently the trailer was loaded with too much weight behind the axle and that caused the tongue to be high. It was a nice looking Chevelle, too, and I hope he was able to save it. Weight balance is critically important for a successful pull. Likewise diltonw, I don't want the tongue so low it'll be a ground scraper everywhere. F-150's are relatively high clearance these days and I'll be paying attention to how high that tongue is. May have to invest in one of those height adjustable hitches.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:22 pm

General rule on tongue weight is 10% of the weight of the loaded trailer. Example, 5,000 lbs trailer and load = 500 lbs tongue weight to tow properly. You are correct on the attitude of the trailer, level or slightly down on the tongue for a smooth tow. On my yellow truck, I use my weight distributing hitch with the torsion bars to take some of the heft off of the rear of the truck, since I have lighter springs in the rear.
Bill
The KB caravan
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio
Previous

Return to L, R and S