Pull rear axle

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:23 pm

Pull rear axle

How do you remove a rear axle in a l series? I have the drum and brakes off but not sure how to pull the axle,seal,and bearings out.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: Pull rear axle

You need a puller, that bolts to the studs, I don't have a pic of one but I know someone does and I assume you can rent one.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:19 pm

I take you want to remove the axle shaft?

I recently posted some links on the subject in a different section that may help(?)
Here's a link to the thread;
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3067&p=21210#p21210
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:34 pm

Assuming you have a 1/2 ton truck as your post imply and that you have the brake drum pulled off the end of the axle shaft. Then you remove the bearing retainer bolts and the axle will slide out. Well not exactly, seems they build up some corrosion and varnish and don't want to pull out. If you have a slide hammer put the axle nut back on the end of the axle and tighten the fingers around the axle nut and attempt to pop it out. Another way I have used is to put the axle nut on, wrap a log chain around the axle shaft then whip the log chain and it may jerk it out. Watch for all the shims that are behind the bearing retainer, they adjust the axle bearing pre-load. If on the other hand you have a 3/4 ton truck the axle flange bolts need pulled and the axle pulls out. MM :whistling2:

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:00 pm

Thank you for the help. Good news, pulled the axle bad news axle broken. The chain did not work. I could not find a puller anywhere. I devised a method useing only two 3/8 all thread and two 3/8 nuts with the brake drum to pull the axle. Super cheap and works great. I have picture I can email someone if they will post. Truck is a 1952 L110.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Glad to hear you got the axle out. Did you get both pieces? Someone had mentioned using a rod to go from the other side to pop out the axle shaft, but as I remember that is not possible on this differential. If you still have a stub piece inside the axle housing, I have used a long drift and a hammer to pop the broken piece inward and let the rebound move it toward the end of the tube then use a magnet to grab it. Which side is broken? I might have a spare and can't remember without going out in the cold to check if they're the same length. Also where are you located? I'm about 48 miles SE of Denver. MM

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:00 pm

It's the drivers side. I'm in sunny, no rain California. I used a slip knot with some wire to get the other half out. I have an axle that was sitting in the back of the truck, however I think that it is way to rusted to use. I'm interested in the axle if you have one. Axle is about 31 5/8 long with 10 grooves. e-mail for pics if u like.

Return to L, R and S