Another 12 volt question

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Another 12 volt question

Tried to find my answer but to no such luck so here we go. I'm converting my truck to 12 volt and know about what I should get changed and what not (thanks to this website) but I have a question on the starter. I know i've read that keeping the starter is fine but should change the starter solenoid which is my plan but wondering about what one to get. My starter is a Delco Remy model #1107140. To me it looks to have an engage arm off the back of the solenoid but guessing somebody here knows what it is. Is it normal to just go and replace the solenoid with a regular 12 volt one i've seen on this website before that doesn't have that same attachment or do I have to replace the whole starter and solenoid. hope the picture is clearer then my words are!
Attachments
IMG_1885.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:55 pm

Re: Another 12 volt question

The 12 version of that solenoid, with the clevis and pin connection, is REALLY hard to find. My local NAPA tried every source they could think of 10 years ago for mine, and it still took them 2 weeks to find one.

I should've written down the part number, but I didn't.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:40 am

I'm pretty sure my S160 still has the original six volt starter and has worked on twelve volts without a problem for years. It just turns much faster than it did on six volts.
The BD 264 that was transplanted into my R160 already had a 12 volt starter so there is another option. If you really feel the need to change, maybe just find a 12 volt starter from a newer IH engine.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:36 am

I had my starter rebuilt to the tune of $100 and feel out was money well spent. He had the correct solenoid and everything.

I don't know if Cornbinder89 is still here, but I think he recommended putting an extra ground strap from the starter to the frame for better operation.

John

Return to L, R and S