Grill Swap

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:54 pm

Re: Grill Swap

coakes00 wrote:I've kind of wanted to keep this one secret just incase I ever decided to get an L but there is a local junk yard that has a grill in near perfect shape. Its on an L-160 and the place is called Strump's outside Spalding, NE. I don't have a number but if you are still interested in putting the L grill on it, it a very good one.

As a point of interest a 150 and up grill won't work on a pickup. They're taller, thus the third chrome bar.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:00 pm

Jared wrote:
coakes00 wrote:I've kind of wanted to keep this one secret just incase I ever decided to get an L but there is a local junk yard that has a grill in near perfect shape. Its on an L-160 and the place is called Strump's outside Spalding, NE. I don't have a number but if you are still interested in putting the L grill on it, it a very good one.

As a point of interest a 150 and up grill won't work on a pickup. They're taller, thus the third chrome bar.

You are correct that they are taller than the smaller pickups, so are the fenders that fit those trucks. With that said, with modification, they will work. The upper bolt areas are the same, you just need to measure below the park lights to the bottom of the smaller grill and transfer those measurements to the larger grill. trim to fit along with the frame rail slots. Bonus about most of the larger grill structures is that they were often not as beat up as the smaller truck grills.
those are my thoughts

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:52 am

Do you have metalworking skills--or a friend with metalworking skills? Here's an R-series truck that had a '61-'62 C-series grille grafted in:
http://www.outbackihc.com/projects.php?pg=2

There are options...depending on your skills, your friends, and/or the thickness of your wallet.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:05 pm

My first reaction was rejection but after looking at it a little more I think that I could learn to like the change. My son and Bedrock John like the L grill and I like the R
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:09 pm

they definitely each have their own certain aspects going for them. It really comes down to both availability and also the all mighty $$$$$. We'll see how this pans out..........
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:10 pm

My '52 has a fairly decent grille...and my '51 doesn't. So I'm thinking about salvaging the grille from Pappy's long-abandoned '67 1200 and doing the Outback treatment to the '51.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:10 am

that is definitely a sweet look. I wish I had those metal working skills but I'm not quite up to that caliber yet, I've got a ways to go!! Good luck with it Buzz, I'm sure it will be an awesome transformation.
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:29 am

Don't tell anyone, but I happen to know where no less than 3 perfect L-series grills are with bars! I just happen to be going there this weekend to pull some parts off of a Metro. They are still on trucks but available. Depending how the weather is I may pull one or two of them.
Previous

Return to L, R and S