Late R185-195 Steering Columns

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:09 am

Late R185-195 Steering Columns

I've got quite a collection of pictures of the heavy duty R-series trucks and it looks like during the last production years, the R185, R190 series, etc. had a different steering column and steering wheel that looks like it came from a Loadstar. The column looks like it has a u-joint just under the dash so the four-spoke steering wheel is flatter (is that a word) than the steering wheel in the earlier trucks which are closer to vertical. Has anyone else noticed this? Did they just use the same column and steering wheel straight out of the Loadstar or is it a different one? I'd like to swap mine out as the Loadstar column and steering wheel were much more comfortable to drive, in my opinion.

Redk5guy

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:30 am

Re: Late R185-195 Steering Columns

Likey has to do with different steering set-ups. By the end of the run, power steer was avaiable and even some intergal boxes were out at the end of the M series (Heavy duty R type cab, pit fenders etc). I doubt it would be a bolt in swap.
Early R's had a one piece shaft from the box to the wheel so a new box would be required, and all that brings with it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Once again this is something the parts manuals WILL help with.
Go to Group 5 and find "Steering column and Wheel"
You have one book and Mike has the MT-119 and 2 for Loadstars,the MT-127 (covers ca. '71-73) & the MT-132 which covers model years after the 127.
Open one or all, I do it all the time by opening them with Adobe Reader. I had 6 open just to take a quick look.

I took a quick look in the 119 & 127 and found the wheel pn is different so I checked the nut and it's also different which indicates the shaft dia. may be different(?). Next I went to the lower column and checked the u-joints,again different pn's which I recognize and know they actually are different sizes. Looking at the manner the column's in each model connect to the steering gear,they are very different as well. Shaft lengths between the R & LS are also probably different with the LS being much shorter. SO a "direct swap" of columns is highly unlikely.

If it's just the angle you'd like to change,then inspect the column mounting and see if there is a way to change the angle that way. If it's the wheel as well you'd be safer looking for one from a late R model.

As for solid or jointed columns,it appears it may have to do with which steering gear is used(?). I didn't delve into that deeply though but got that impression from the Group 5 index.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:42 pm

Thanks again for the information - I reallyneed to get in the habit of looking in the manuals first. There is a lot of good stuff there so I think I'll spend the evening poking around over there and getting more familiar with what's there. I think almost all of the questions I've asked in the last couple of weeks were found or could have been found in the manuals. Thanks to you and Gangster Mike for your efforts.

Redk5guy

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:43 pm

The columns are different. I finally remembered to go look at the spare cab I just picked up. Here are some pictures for you. I believe the trucks with the plastic column surround would all have the joint.

P1010302.JPG

P1010306.JPG

This one is of my L190 for a comparison. I've noticed the later trucks had the plastic trim on the column, but never noticed the steering angle was different.
P1010308.JPG

Tad

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks for the pictures, they clearly show the difference, although there really isn't that much. Maybe I'm just thinking the Loadstar wheel was flatter.

Is that an auxiliary transmission stick in your L-190 along with a 2-speed rear? I've always wanted to drive a truck with 2 sticks, more of a "just to see if I could" kind of thing.

Redk5guy

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:01 pm

You're not dreaming,the Loadstar wheel is definitely more "horizontal" than either in the pic's Tad posted. One thing I liked about the LS,actually just about all later IH's had the wheel on a like plane. I like that 4 spoke wheel best too,great for maneuvering even with your palm or a couple fingers.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Yup, My '51 has a 3 speed auxiliary and a two speed rear axle. The rear axle is not working...and I have no idea if it is stuck in low or high...hopefully high. I'm not sure what the ratios are on the auxiliary either....I'm thinking low-direct-over. It's really hard to know for sure, if the rear is in low and the aux has OD they will cancel out....or the rear could be in high with a low2-low1-direct aux. One of these days I need to figure out what everything is.

Having the aux trans to split shift definitely helps with pulling hills as you don't have to drop rpm so much between shifts so you can keep pulling longer as you slow down. I'm by no means an expert...just trying to learn as I go. Shifting the aux is no different than the main trans, double clutch and away you go.

Tad

Return to L, R and S