DPDT Rotary Switch Ideas

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:53 pm

DPDT Rotary Switch Ideas

I'm still thinking about making--or having some make--a second fuel tank for my L-series. I know I can find an electric switching valve, like the ones Ford used in the '70's. BUT...I want to make the switch match my existing dash, which will mean having a knob custom made for a D-shaped shaft on a rotary switch. And I want a 12V DPDT on-on switch, so when I switch tanks, I also switch which sender the fuel gauge is reading. I really want to AVOID using a toggle. And I'm guessing that a 30-amp max capacity would be sufficient for what I need.

Any ideas where to find such an animal? Doing a Google search with all the parameters I've specified just gives me a jumble of results that I really DON'T want.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: DPDT Rotary Switch Ideas

Here's links for 2 mfrs. that may have what you want.

http://www.colehersee.com/home/literature/
Check the RH column,if need be maybe they can make one?

http://www.pollakaftermarket.com/
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:06 pm

my father had a 71 scout with two tanks. the switch was manual, turned it 180 degrees to switch tanks, the full gauge somehow read from the active tank. the switch was on the floor just the left of the driver seat. I thought it worked pretty good. something like that would be simple I would think.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:13 pm

Another supplier might be Newark, They are an electrical and electronic supplier. You would have to look thru their offereings for the specs you want.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:33 pm

http://www.oilybits.com/bio-fuel-equipm ... d_328.html
Here is a link to some good information. Our R120 had the POLLACK switch system for two decades and it was trouble free. The valve switched the senders to a common gauge and switched the Diesel fuel return line to the tank that was being drawn from.
I fitted a 1990 Chevy Van fuel tank in between the frame rails at the back. the rear cross-member had to made into a removable bolt-in, but this was not a big deal. The fuel tank was floated on six silicone buttons that were squeezed out of a tube and onto the frame and left to dry/set for a few hours. the silicone buttons lasted for twenty years. The tank will have to be grounded or the information from the sender will be intermittent.
I wonder if one of the Travelall right side tanks would fit a pickup??? The T'alls are so difficult to find and it may be difficult to find a T'all tank I have a bunch of tanks here and my son and I were looking at the possibility of moving the filler neck on one of the tanks. This will give the inconvenient GM/Chevy style left and right fill. I preferred the rear tank system with the filler on the same side. We reserved the right side for the batteries which I mounted on "J" track so the batteries could be raised and locked or lifted just a little and lowered for service or replacement. The right side was where the POLLACK valve and lines were located. The R had a master switch installed in this area with the control shaft inside the cab, under the seat.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=& ... 6090832874
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:11 pm

Del-City and Waytek are resellers of the major stuff. I've bought from both.

Return to L, R and S