AUTOMOTIVE SOUND INSULATION??

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:53 pm

AUTOMOTIVE SOUND INSULATION??

Found it.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:00 am

Re: AUTOMOTIVE SOUND INSULATION??

Ok...

There was a considerable debate over on the HAMB awhile back about using this stuff from Lowe's:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS625_0__?storeNumber=2542&Ntt=peel+and+seal&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=%5Bcom.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4073697369%5D&pl=1&productId=1018733&ipTrail=74.133.161.250

Nowadays, I don't recall what the consensus was...but for some reason I bookmarked the product and info from my local store, in case I decided to go that route.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:21 am

I discovered a local hotrod shop that sells B-Quiet Extreme. I bought 100 square feet. It comes in 50'X1' foot rolls. The price was very good.
We will be using this product on Binder projects in the future. This lot goes into a 1940 Ford.
The product from Lowes looks similar and I will check it out next time I'm in the store. Thanks for the tip, B72.
BTW, this stuff is deceptively heavy. The shop that I got this sound deadening material from uses it on all of the cars they build. My favorite hotrod, in the shop, was a 1932 Ford pickup with a 241 Hemi. .
Did you know that the HEMI came in241, 270, 315, 325, and more. The HEMI was originally developed for the REPUBLIC P-47 THUNDERBOLT. It was an inverted V16 with 2500 hp. Chrysler worked together with CONTINENTAL to develop the V12 HEMI for the M47 Patton tank.
Very little exchanges between the different models. Google it! I am probably forgetting a lot. I think that it can be said, the HEMI engine, whatever the size, has a similar voice. Well, maybe not the Top Fuel and Funny Car Hemi

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:45 am

I don't have much information on it or the cost, but my builder used the stuff call "FAT MAT". You can see in the photo what it looks like. The symbols on the stuff says "FAT MAT.COM" so I suppose there is a website for it.
Another product I've seen demonstrated is "LIZARD SKIN". The demo looked real impressive. A flat griddle had been coated on one half, top surface with it and while the griddle was on a hot plate, ice cubes were added to both the coated side and the uncoated side. The ice cube on the uncoated side melted straight away and the water began to boil. The ice cube on the coated side was melting slowly but only due to the ambient air and not because of the heat beneath it. A second demonstration for the sound deadening capabilities had two good size brass bells similar to what you'd expect on a large working boat. :h0212: The outside of one bell was coated with the Lizard Skin and the other, of course, not coated. Pull the rope under the uncoated bell and the bell makes the sharp ringing sound you expect from it. Pull the rope on the coated one and all you can hear is a soft, dull "thunk". This Lizard Skin is a water based, spray on coating (the spray gun comes with the kit) and I expect the price is not cheap, but this stuff looks incredible. Resembles the spray on bed liner material, Rhino Liner, etc.. All depends on what you want on your truck, I guess.
Attachments
IMG_1327a.jpg
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:58 pm

Nicely done. I say, "If you are taking it to Pebble Beach Concourse, keep it original. If PBC is not in the plan, make it better. "

Return to L, R and S