R 100 vs R 112

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Re: R 100 vs R 112

Speaking of badges and that sort of thing, I would really like to buy a couple of sets of those 'STANDARD' dashboard decals that I have seen on so many of the Binders that have passed our way. I could probably get a nice one reproduced if I had an original decal that was in good condition.
I have to think that the supply of really good badges is running just a little low. It has been my experience that even a bunch of NOS that we bought was plagued with pitting and chrome lifting. What I was able to determine is that many of these trim items are what is commonly known as 'POTMETAL'. As it turned out, pot metal was, for the most part a mixture of metals that were dumped into the casting furnace along with a bunch of zinc. Not all of these metals were compatible and there was some reaction between them. Add a little moisture that acts like an electrolyte and we have corrosion between dissimilar metals. I discovered that zinc does a little off-gassing and this can lift chrome. After talking to a few powder-coaters in this area, I finally got one of them to agree to hang my cast zinc parts in the oven for a day of heat cycling as they baked other projects, for other customers. This is supposed to get the majority of the gas situation out of the castings.
At the end of the second day, and while my parts were still too warm to touch, the powder-coater applied the coating, which in my case was a powder coat primer. I picked up the headlight bezels and the grill pieces while they were still warm and the job looks perfect, so far. I really hope that this works out because it is a little bit of an OMG if it fails. The reproduction grill was $795 and the headlight bezels were $170 each at Bob Drake Reproductions. While the grill parts and the bezels were new and nearly perfect, they required very little attention other than a few minutes in the blast cabinet with very fine glass beads, just to take the shine off. It is my intention to have the grill pieces and bezels painted body colour so these parts do not stand out too much, but blend in really well.
I am thinking that the less than perfect IHC cast trim pieces that I have will get a slightly more aggressive blasting with fine glass beads and then I will fill the pock marks with a product called LAB METAL. This product is commonly available in machine shop supply stores. Once cured, this epoxy metal product can be machined, drilled and tapped. I have used it with good success on some casting flaws in aluminum intake manifolds that could not be welded safely. Here is the deal breaker for anyone without patience, The cast trim pieces will need to be carefully filed smooth and may require more filler. The work is not difficult, it just takes careful attention to detail. Small modelling files work really well. Another helpful tip is to mount the badges or trim onto pieces of plywood after carefully drilling small holes in the wood to accept the pins on the back of the parts.
We have decided to paint our trim pieces in a nice complimenting color, but for those who like the chrome look, there is the option of having a spray chrome finish applied. This product is easily as nice as much of the old time chrome. There are videos of the process on You Tube. If you need to see what this spray chrome looks like, pick your favorite new car dealer and check out the shinny bits and pieces.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: R 100 vs R 112

I promised someone on this forum that I would look at the R hood "V" trim pieces that we have in stock. I did have a critical look at the ones we have and I am thinking that our stuff may not be as nice as the description that was given of this person's part. Sorry. I hope the person sees this.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....
Previous

Return to L, R and S