double rear cab windows

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:43 pm

double rear cab windows

A year ago I was trying to figure out why my truck "52 L185" had a single rear window. With help from you guys it was decided that the cab probably was replaced.
I have a friend that just bought a R190. I did not have a chance to see what year it was. It has a double rear window in it. That is enough to make a guy wonder. The other thing that it has is a extended cab. There is a shelf behind the seat were (as he says) the driver could sleep while on the road. That would be nice to have the extra room in the cab. If a larger fellow was driving my truck they would have to hold there belly above the steering wheel.

Sorry to beat an old horse about the rear windows. I'm just trying to understand.
Help! I'm stuck in the garage and I can't seem to pull myself out.

Nothing better than a nap on the creeper under the old truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:31 am

Re: double rear cab windows

We have an R190 cab and it does not mount to the frame in the same way as the pickups.
The rear mounting is near the center and the pickups are mounted on the frame. I am fairly sure the twindows are wider on the 190 because the cab, at the rear, gets wider by nearly a foot.
The firewalls are different on the 190 and it was our experience, the 190 will not fit an L110 because the center drops lower by 6 inches. I believe I made mention of this in out L110 Shorty build. There are pictures posted.
I hope this helps.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Bryce, I think you're trying to mix apples with oranges. The truck cab you have was built in either Emeryville, Calif. or Ft Wayne, In. by International Harvester. The integrated sleeper cab your friend has was built by Orrville Body Works in Orville, Oh. for International not by International. Orrville Body Works took IH cab parts under contract, modified them, and built the integrated sleeper cabs. They were built to one standard from 1950 to maybe 1965. They all looked alike. IH changed the cab style you have because they built them. Orrville Body Works also built sleeper cabs for the other major truck builders. From the door back they look very similar. Hope this helps.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:34 pm

I have an ORRVILLE METAL SPECIALTY CREWCAB. It is made from IHC supplied pieces and Orrville joined the bits and pieces to make a crewcab for IHC. The Orrville I have is a 4 door. The passenger door behind the driver is welded shut and faired in. The crewcab has a single rear window. After I replace the damaged cab panels, the crewcab with have twindows and four doors.
Use this forum search to find several pictures of my Orrville. It is pink and turquoise, from fade.
My Orrville crewcab is pictured on the new company's home page.
Unlike the sleeper cab, this ORRVILLE crewcab uses the rear of a standard cab and the left and right sides are parallel.
Attachments
IHC crewcab & Older friend.jpg
note the extensive damage above the back window
R130 ORRVILLE CREWCAB.jpg
ORRVILLE RIGHT FRONT.jpg
ORRVILLE CREWCAB.jpg

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:14 am

I have 52 L110 and it has double ,the 54 R120 also has double windows, The 56 S 100 has a single window with a BB hole some kid may have been using it for target practice. You. are right about the nap under a old truck

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:52 pm

I saw one of those sleeper cabs on a pickup. The owner /builder used a long IHC frame from a larger truck and included an 8 foot box. The workmanship was good but the finished truck didn't look right. I may have a picture on my old laptop.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:38 pm

I would like to see that picture if you find it. kinda goes with what I would like to do with my L.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:51 pm

The sleeper cabs get so much wider at the back. The front to rear taper, that is in the doors, continues on into the cab extension. The rear of a sleeper cab must be 18 - 20 inches wider than a standard cab. These sleeper cabs must put on some weight. Our Orrville Crewcab feels like it is 50% heavier than a standard Comfo Cab.
The rear support for the Orrville Crewcab was a six foot 8" by 3" hard-rock maple plank. It had been fitted to the frame and the cab in what looked deliberate. 55 years of the cab pressing on the maple plank caused the plank to take on a serious bend. The crewcab floor is a flat piece of 16 gauge sheet welded to the front floor section. I/we are going to sacrifice a good "R" cab floor, modified, to be fitted into the rear area. I need the factory formed floor sections that are under the doors so I can get that factory look with both rear doors. It is not rocket surgery, just lots of time and tape measuring.
We have a few ideas for replacing some of the OEM cab suspension with http://energysuspension.com/ components.

Return to L, R and S