full flow oil filter kit for SD engines

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 02, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: full flow oil filter kit for SD engines

I think it's totally viable. I would probably be inclined to machine a spacer and pump the contents into the side of the spacer. Totally doable. Now I'm thinking again... Oh geeez
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Or you could use your full flow filter, and add a bypass like the GRD used or my favorite, the Spinner (T.F. Hudgin lic product).

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri May 02, 2014 9:03 pm

I've been mildly following this thread. Using today's computerized milling machines, a copy of this could easily be made. If somebody actually WOULD make this available, make sure you increase the thickness in the area where the filter mates to it and make sure you convert it to a spin-on filter. While there is nothing wrong with a cannister filter, the spin-on filter would be the way to go. BTW, I converted my International Harvester "H" tractor to a spin-on filter 25+ years ago. I milled down the area, added threads and it now uses the 1-quart oil filters that fit the old small block Chevy engines. The spin-on filters are cheaper than the old cannister filters and there is a lot less chance of them leaking after they are changed.
PLUS, whenver an old timer sees the spin-on filter on my "H" tractor, it's always humorous to watch them do the double take which is immediately followed with a bunch of questions.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 03, 2014 7:30 am

Converting the full flow adaptor to spin on would be easy, converting the bypass well why? Around here ( and in some other parts of the country) filter disposal is becomeing a problem. They must be crushed and all oil recovered before allowed in the waste stream (landfill). I know most just toss them in their trash but here at least your not supposed to. Canister filters have no or little metal and can easly be burned after draining. I think Texas also has some strict laws on oil filter disposal. Proper filter disposal has stopped me doing my own oil changes on my big equipment. Yes, I could likely get away with dumping the filters inside trash bags with my regular trash, but in reality I wasn't saveing much if any money doing it myself, and now I don't worry about the disposal problem. If I could easly convert back to canaster filters I would, but parts are expensive new are hard to find used in good condition.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat May 03, 2014 7:53 am

cornbinder89 wrote: Canister filters have no or little metal and can easly be burned after draining.

You stated that it is illegal to put your old filters in the trash. Is it legal to burn your old oil filters?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 03, 2014 8:08 am

here, waste oil burning (and filters) are acceptable if burned hot enough not to smoke.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 03, 2014 8:28 am

I have friend with a C+C machine. By now he may have a digitizer too. I'll see about paying him a visit soon. Going to his shop would be a good shorter shake down trip for the truck as well.

I would be willing to draw up a set of plans for this regardless.

Talking about adapting it for a spin-on style filter:

I like the idea of spin on cans. They are handy and readily available. I like cartridges too though. I work in heavy construction as an Equipment guy see and both types. I am seeing more and more cartridges with each new piece we buy. I can see two benefits to cartridges. In theory, the cartridge should provide a more consistant leak free filter change as the fit/seal between the can and flange is controlled by the OEM out the door, not an aftermarket where dimensions/tolerences may change from run to run. Less waste at the end can also be a positive.

Regardless of which way you go. If I'm changing the oil in my wife's car or observing an oil change in a Cat 349 the thing I always strive for is less mess. Give me a controlled way to drain the filter before I remove it. The later BDs got it right with the drain in the can. I believe the plug in the housing I just aquired is intended to do the same thing. I will investigate that later. I'd prefer a petcock with a nipple to attach a hose to, but I suspect that's not practical due to peak pressure values within the filter/housing.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 03, 2014 8:32 am

I remember in Diesel progress when they said everything would go back to cartadge lube filters 'cause of the disposal problem, but they also said everything would be 48volt by now also... When I left working on machinery, we were starting to see more cartadge filters also.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 03, 2014 8:46 am

I know Cat released a diesel over electric dozer (D7E) a few years back. I remember grumbling to myself about that one...
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 03, 2014 9:59 am

VWJake wrote:I know Cat released a diesel over electric dozer (D7E) a few years back. I remember grumbling to myself about that one...

I bet thats a load of fun to work on in some swamp!
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S