New Brake Lines

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:51 pm

Re: New Brake Lines

I just bought the premade brake lines from autozone. II used a union on the long line from the master to the rear flex line. The pre made lines and unions are petty inexpensive and are double flared.
That short hard line from the master to the weird ass banjo fitting was in good condition so I didn’t deal with that.
The flex lines are available on rockauto.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:02 am

That tool from eastwood is the shizit , I bought one and will say that it is the way to go . I bought and used stainless steel brake lines , long as I was doing it I thought the cost difference was worth it

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am

I looked at the Eastwood flare tool. It is very nice and probably a good choice if you have enough use for it. I just couldn't justify it for probably the only set of lines I may ever do.
Hattrick, Frame was wire wheeled and cleaned as good as possible. Sprayed with PPG Omni Acrylic Enamel. So nothing special.
Have fun with your project.
Dennis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:04 pm

I didn't see mentioned, maybe missed it,
but also buy a simple tubing bender if you don't have one,
you CAN make bends by hand, but major buzzkill if you kink a brake line, as it is now garbage
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:16 pm

And that's a good reason to always start with the longest piece. If it kinks, there's maybe enough left on one side or the other to make the shorter runs.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:34 pm

Here is a technique I learned in aircraft school to make sharp bends on larger diameter tubing without kinking. I think 3/8" tube is the minimum this would work on and requires that you can clean the tube when done.
install a flare nut and flare one end of the tube, do the same on the other end. Install a flare plug in one end and fill the tube with dry "sugar sand" (dry fine grained sand), tapping the tube to pack the grains tight.
when the tube is full to the point it will not take more, install another plug in the other end. Make your bends and remove the plugs and sand and CLEAN completely.
I have made sharp bends in 1/2" aluminum tubing for an oil cooler, and you can bend a radius much sharper than with other methods. You are more or less limited by the force you can apply to the tube, the sand keeps the tube from kinking.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:35 pm

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:07 pm

I wish the Mastrecool had the dies to make A/C O ring ends.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:52 am

I had not seen the Mastercool one. That seems alot more practical to be able to flare lines on the truck if needed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:45 am

CB, please note that the bending method you described using sand is an effective way to make the radiused bends. However, please be aware that all bending of straight tubing requires some degree of stretching and compression of the metal to take place. The outside (longer) radius requires stretching while the inside radius (shorter) requires some degree of compression. The tubing metal will stretch more readily than compress. Therefore, the tighter the radius, the more stretch is required of the metal on the outside radius. Most commercial benders are designed to accommodate that stretching and maintain it to within acceptable, allowable limits. Bending to a tighter radius is possible, however, the risk is then such that the tubing metal may now be compromised and potentially weaker enough to rupture if higher pressures are applied. While the tubing may have a specific pressure rating, stretching the metal thins the wall thickness and reduces the acceptable working pressures.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S