1949 KB2 speedometer not working

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun May 19, 2019 12:43 pm

1949 KB2 speedometer not working

Just put my truck on the road for the summer and first up is to fix my speedometer that has never worked since I've owned the truck.... Think I need a new pencil gear but don't seem to be able to track one down.... Any help to trouble shoot or source the part would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks

Kevin

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 19, 2019 5:16 pm

Re: 1949 KB2 speedometer not working

Diagnose it, disconnect at transmission connect a variable speed drill the speedo drive shank, make sure drill is going right way, slowly accelerate drill, see what speedo does,
if speedo does nothing then disconnect at speedo and watch end of speedo drive while running drill, if end doesn't spin cable is broken, if end spins and speedo didn't move speedo is broken,
if speedo operated with drill then need to test at trans, block all wheels, drop driveline, and have some one very briefly runs truck while you look at output drive, DO NOT GET CLOSE TO SPINNING REAR YOKE OF TRANS
if output isn't turning then pencil gear is bad or sun gear, if it spins then square drive end of cable might be rounded worn,

DO NOT DO THIS TEST BY JACKING REAR WHEELS UP IN THE AIR AND RUN TRUCK WITH DRIVE LINE CONNECTED, YOU CAN KILL YOURSELF
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to K and KB