6 Lug Rim Specifications

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:35 pm

6 Lug Rim Specifications

I managed to find 6 old tires and rims (9 x 20's) on a farm near Hanford California for "FREE"! I was looking for a spare tire for my 1941 K7 bit do not have the lug spacing for my K7. Since the tires held air I took the tires and the rims, all 6 of them. The rubber is not great but will serve as good roll-around tires while I refurbish the stock rims.

Since I am a few hundred miles away from home, can some one please post the measurement distance between the lugs for bud style wheels that fit a K7? Just wondering if the ones I have will bolt to my k7 when I get home.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:20 am

Re: 6 Lug Rim Specifications

Just to be more clear, what I am looking for is the measurement between the two lugs measuring through the center of the wheel from center of the lug to center of the lug. If anyone has those measurements can you please be so kind to post the info.

Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:29 am

If they are of the stud pilot type, all 6 bolts are the same (3/4 stud) They should fit unless the rim is un useally wide. One of the benefits of working on bigger trucks.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:12 am

Forgive my lack of knowledge Cornbinder since I am new to the larger trucks. But can you describe what a "Stud Pilot" type means?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 am

After further inspection, I find that I have two types of rims. One seems to have a channel down the middle of the rim and the other seems to not have the channel but a lock ring on the outside. Below is a link to both types

No center channel.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q49 ... -00332.jpg

Center channel

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q49 ... -00333.jpg

Is one of these two types what people call the widowmaker wheels?

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:01 pm

IHVineyard wrote:After further inspection, I find that I have two types of rims. One seems to have a channel down the middle of the rim and the other seems to not have the channel but a lock ring on the outside. Below is a link to both types

No center channel.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q49 ... -00332.jpg

Center channel

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q49 ... -00333.jpg

Is one of these two types what people call the widowmaker wheels?

The big 6 bolt pattern is 6x8.75"

The last picture may be a widow-maker wheel - does the other side have a locking ring, or no?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:48 am

The ones with no channel down the middle has a locking rim out side rim. I don't plan on running the wheels on the road, just to use them to roll the truck around while I sand blast and paint the old wheels.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Just my Thoughts, but if you are just going to use them as rollers, as long as the ones without a "lock ring" around the out side will work, IF they are well seated , then they should give you no problems as rollers. When you are done using the "bad" ones, let the air out of them and dispose.
Just my Thoughts

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:26 pm

The one marked as haveing a" center channel" is without a doubt a Firestone RH 5deg semi drop center rim AKA widowmaker. The best thing I can recomend is to rremove the valve core and dispose of the rim and tire. Do not air it up or use it for a roller.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:35 pm

IHVineyard wrote:Forgive my lack of knowledge Cornbinder since I am new to the larger trucks. But can you describe what a "Stud Pilot" type means?

Stud pilot means the rim is centered on the hub by the taper seat lug nuts, rather then centered by the center hole. This means the lug must do two dutys, hold the wheel on and center it. With duals, they need inner and outer nuts, each centers one wheel.
http://www.accuridewheelendsolutions.co ... r-2011.pdf
page 19 on the .pdf (17 on the catalog pages) lists 6 bolt tubeless wheels, they are not common anymore, found mostly on trailers. Only the 22.5 wheel would fit where 20' wheels were used, although you might get a 19.5 wheel to go over the front brake drum.

Return to K and KB