KB-6 KB-11 cab swap

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:29 pm

KB-6 KB-11 cab swap

Will a KB-6 cab fit on a KB-11 and a will a KB-6 bumper and front end fit on KB-11. I would like to replace the west coast front on the KB-11 with the long nose. I know the frame will have to be extended some for the curved bumper. The 6 cab is way nicer than the 11 and still has the headliner. Before you all give me a bad time for knocking the KB-6 in the head it has a Mopar 440 and auto transmission in it. The final question is can i get a 13 speed trans. bolted to a RD501 engine. I would like to be able to drive 60 mph on 4 lane highway. The RD501 will come out of a 1960 R185. I know since the 11 has air brakes and the 6 does not i will need to drill some holes and add that to the 6 cab.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: KB-6 KB-11 cab swap

For the 13 spd RR... The RD series IIRC used an SAE-2 bell but the typical RR used a much bigger bell and a pull clutch and the RD a push. The "baby 13 spd" 6613?? might be able to be fitted but not the more common RTxxx13 found in most truck yards. The RD series had a single disk clutch where most of the RR series were used with a double disk. This means input shaft differances.
The -6 nose will be far too short and the firewall on the -6 cab will be wrong for the 10. Does the -10 have an aux trans? You must face that the typical 13 has only a .86 OD gear, not going to gain all that much roadspeed that way. A five speed main, with a 4 sped Aux with both haveing an OD in the top hole will give you more. You must take into account that driveshaft speeds have a safe limit. Better to swap rear ends to a more useful ratio then try and spin a low ratio too fast.
All in all, if what you want is to bolt stuff together, then no it will not work. Alot of fab work would be required.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks for the info. I will stay with the 5 and 2 as I'm getting to old to go fast. If you get on a rough road the old girl can really slam you around. As far as the cab, it is pretty decent but needs some new metal in the floor. I would still like to put the long front on and find a viser. I'm going to replace the RD450 with the RD501. Looks like the KB-6 is safe for now. I may have to restore that but the 440 engine will have to go. One of these days I need to get some pictures posted of my trucks.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 pm

RD501 there is a k 11 cab and nonse that is the long non west coast nose listed on ebay right know.
how ever the cab has no door but both front fender grill and hood are included and again it is the long nose not the shorter wets coast nose.
lastly when you get time would you please post some photos of ypur k/kb style truck with the flat/west coast nose for others to see as i do not belive that there are many that know/realizes that the k/kb 8 and larger truck had to differant front clip/nose styles.
p.s. if you need the ebay item listing number just post asking and i will post it.
robertkb48

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:37 pm

yes, please post the ebay listng number.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Coupla comments, the K series should have an RED not RD (later version). The RED had bypass lube filter (pointed up) while the RD has full flow oil filter (points down and to the front).
The 501 would be a wasted effort on a hobby truck. The 450 is a lined engine makeing rebiulds in chassie a possability where as the 501 is not lined. Both are slow speed torque engines and I doubt you could tell one from another unless you had a very large load on.
These truck 6's are not quick, but designed for pulling. I like to say my 269 pulls like my 315hp 9670 did.... with 115,000 lbs... slow but sure.
The later RD's had a split exhaust manifold that was desireable as the single outlet of the RED tended to crack and warp. You can fit a later manifold to the RED's as well.
If it were me, I'd stick with a 450, whether it was a RD or RED as there are more opitions when and if a rebiuld is needed. The 501 needs its own crank and pistons. the 450 crank was shared with more engines and the bore (and therefor liners) also was shared with smaller stroke engine in the same family.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:15 pm

I use my KB-11 to haul 181 series dozer on a Lacross lowboy and plan to pull 28 ft hopper bottom trailer. The 501 has less miles than the 450.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:22 pm

Your truck, your choice. Either will pull it, niether will be fast. The placement of the steering box causes trouble on the smaller (-6 and-7) when the later full flow BD series engine are fitted. I don't know if the same will hold for the RED/RD swap. Not a game killer in either case, just requires relocateing the filter and filter base (which houses the oil pressure relief). The RED and RD filters are further foward on the block so may not be a problem.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:32 pm

maybe I could find R190 that needs engine and put 501 in that. I like the R185 but it was used to spread salt so the frame is thin. the cab is good.I can't believe how solid the doors are on R model cabs.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:27 pm

rd501 here is the item number for the k 11 cab on ebay 330885248725.
next this is at least the second and maybe the third time the seller has posted.
this said both times i have seen it the starting bid has never bin over 1 dollar even though it maybe higher ebay does not show it due to the fact the seller has a reserve on the listing so there for until the reserve is met ebay will only show the opening bid/starting bid which both are 1 dollar.
all this said if it were me and if i was intrested in the stuff i personaly would contact the seller to see what he wants and weather he will sell it out right with out going through ebay as you may get a better deal out right because if he sells it out right with out going through ebay in all reatilty he will get more money as we will not have to pay ebay any money at all if he sells it out right instead of on ebay.

lastly hope this helps and if i can be of further help/asistance just let me know.
robertkb48

Return to K and KB