The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:52 am

Morning to all. I'm new to thus forum. It was suggested that you all might be able to help me. I'm restoring a 28 fire truck on a gramm chassis. It has a 15h continental 6 cylinder engine that is repairable, but not cost effective. So a repower is in order. After looking many hours on the net, I think I have narrowed it down to a continental r6602 or a rd450. I really need to use my original transmission. The bellhousing is 20 7/8" diameter 12-3/8 bolts. I figured I would have to use a custom adaptor plate. I don't want to go diesel as that would not be period correct. What are your thoughts? Thanks Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:38 pm

Re: New member

Welcome to the madness. There is lots of Old IHC information on this forum.
I am the guy who will most likely suggest something from Cummins to power your truck. You should power your truck in any way that makes you feel good. At one time Cummins was an engine supplier to IHC. If you decide to put some rumble under your hood, you will like the power and economy. If you do not say anything only you and CB89 will know the difference.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not apposed to diesels or Cummings. After many many hours of research, diesels we not used in the gramm trucks. My fire truck has a 6.9 to 1 rear end. The engine specs are na so I calculated the horsepower at 75. It's 529 cu in. Don't know torque either. I'm just looking for ideas as I haven't committed to anyone engine yet. Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:26 pm

I'm the one who suggested the RD series over on the 'stak. The #1 bell is going to be the problem, but if you are will to use an adaptor, that will not be a problem.
The RD will be shorter than the Conti. Lighter too!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:00 am

Can anyone tell me what the bellhousing dimension for the RD450 are? It's one of the options I'm concidering. Thanks mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:26 am

It has a #2 SAE Bell, at least when it is used in trucks, you might get lucky (it would take a lot of luck!) and find a #1 bell in some industrial application
Attachments
0-6%20SAE%20Size%20FLYWHEEL%20-BELL%20HOUSING%20DIMENSIONS.jpg

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:08 am

I measured my bellhousing and it's not a sae1 as I had thought. It's 20 7/8" bolt patern. So it will have to be a custom adaptor or bellhousing. Thanks Mike

I just looked it the picture you posted and I'm wrong I think. I'll have to remeasure it tonight when I get back home. I'll let you know. Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:17 am

The "B" measurement is the bolt circle and a #1 IS 20 7/8" bolt circle.
Also early #1's used 3/8" bolts, current #1's use 7/16" bolts, but the bolts are not what centers the bell so it will not cause a problem. I have one engine with 3/8" bolts on a 7/16" trans half and no problems, it is the inner land on the trans half that holds the assembly on center.
It is always easier to go from a bigger engine bell to a smaller trans bell then to go the other way around, due to how the trans half is held on center in the SAE design.
Last edited by cornbinder89 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:47 am

I remember on the "stak" post you had some reason for sticking with a #1 bell, but your life would be a lot simpler if you can find a #2 bell for that trans.
Most SAE bells are universal, in that they made one or two in a SAE size for a trans or engine that was used in all applications (of engine or trans) that took that SAE size.
I remember you saying there was something special about the Bell on your trans, but can't find where you said that.
Many are cast iron, so could be braised or welded to add extra brackets if required.
Many if not most are drilled for push and pull type clutches. ( lever above or below the input shaft).
while the bell is specific to the engine or trans for which it is made, the SAE spec is used so it can be attached to any other engine or trans with that SAE bell type. In other words any trans with a SAE 1 bell can mate to any engine with a SAE 1 bell and visa versa.
If you have the engine and/or trans out, It might help to make a good drawing of how the trans bolts to the trans bellhousing along with the center hole dimension, as this is what holds the trans center to the engine crankshaft. Then may be you can find a SAE 2 bell that would fit, it would make finding an engine and fitting it so much easier.
P.S. I have a SAE#2 on a Clark 5 spd that you can have for shipping, but unless you are close by, it would be cheaper to find something local, and I don't know if the Clark bolt pattern and center hole would be usefull on the trans you have.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:38 pm

Cornbinder, after checking, my bellhousing is a #1. The reason I want to stay with the same bell is because the the clutch and brake pedals are mounted on the same shaft. I also have what I call true mechanical brakes. What do you think about having a new bellhousing made ? Both the engines I'm concidering are #2.
Next

Return to K and KB