KB tire changing

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:50 am

KB tire changing

Hi all, my KB5 (five spoke Daytons) needs new tires and I am going to try and do the job myself. I understand there is a tool for collapsing and expanding the rim, eBay has a lot of these old tools for sale, should I be looking for a specific make, maybe part number, or a tried and tested alternative to the special tool would do. Maybe somebody here has one I could borrow? Thanks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:23 am

Re: KB tire changing

All you need is a "tire hammer" and a rim tool (which can be a big screwdriver or pry bar) and a block of wood. Not sure what tool you are referring too.
I would beg you, if you have not worked on the soild ring, split rim style have someone who has show you how. They are not hard, but as with any large tire, there is the chance of death if you get it wrong.
The tire bead needs to be pushed back from the edge of the rim to release the bead. then the pry bar is placed in the notch provided and the rim dislodged from the lock-ring.

You need to be 150% sure it is assembled correctly before and during the air up of the new tire. This is not something easly learned off the net, and it is of deadly importance. For this reason find a tire shop and have them do a few and ask to learn about safe handling of the assembly.
If you live near western Iowa, and can bring a tire/rim here I can walk you through the job.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 am

Thanks for the fast and positive response..... I wish I lived closer to you but unfortunately I'm in Arizona, most shops around here have probably never seen this type of wheel and don't want to touch it or suggest that they would have a go and see what happens. No confidence then, but there are a lot of shops so may find one eventually. I actually would like to have a go myself so working on bead breaking and take it from there..........

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:11 am

Try finding a tire shop that does Ag or off road construction and mining equipment tires, They should have the experience and knowledge to do the job correctly.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:22 pm

In the later 1960s I attended a sudden death where one of these rim assemblies came apart while being inflated. The person working on the assembly had experience. The investigation determined that there was a high probability that the parts of the rim were not seated properly or dirty. The increasing pressure caused the parts to separate. The installer was leaning over the tire/rim assembly when it separated. The force was get enough to cause a bead ring to act as a knife. The installer had the right upper side of his torso and his head severed from his body. The ring was imbedded in the ceiling of the small tire shop.
The sudden and rapid explosion of air, at high pressure, will cause injury or death even when the assembly is in a certified cage. There are good examples of tire/rim explosions on You Tube.
Now you have all of the cautions and very little detailed information to make your choice. If the forum does not hear back from you, maybe someone will watch the obits in your area.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:16 pm

nikkinutshop wrote: The sudden and rapid explosion of air, at high pressure, will cause injury or death even when the assembly is in a certified cage.

A coupla quick thoughts in addition to Nikki's.
A cage is a single use item, in that it is destroyed when it is used to contain a catastrophic failure! It does its job by deforming and slowing the flying metal. For this reason "make do" things like wrapping chains and other things like placing a loader bucket over tires is counter-productive. A chain is not designed to stretch, in fact it has very little deformation before it too fails and turn in shrapnel.
Any vessel that contains as much compressed air as a truck tire all must be handled with care, a compressor tank is an often overlooked danger. A tubeless tire on a single piece rim poses the same danger.
Far better to KNOW it is together correctly, and still treat it with caution. It comes down to know what to look for, good inspections on every step of the process, and rigidly following good practices.
I'm not good a calculus, but figure out how many square inches are in a tire and multiply that by 100, and you'll get how many tons of force can be released
I change countless truck and bus tires and never had a failure, I am careful and inspect at every step, so I know it will stay together.
Attachments
tire.jpg
Not mine, from JOT

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Here is another WTF moment. The danger is still there while the tire is being deflated. Rust, dirt and paint are the enemies of a good lock connection at the wheels.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:58 pm

I went to three tire shops who claimed they could repair a split rim mounted tire only to have them send me packing when I showed up with it. I did find an old Ag tire shop who knew what they were doing and made the repair. I did not even want to attempt it.....

Return to K and KB