Electric fuel pump answer,

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:59 pm

Electric fuel pump answer,

Can I leave my old fuel pump on the truck, and run a low pressure electric fuel pump as well on the the same line, on my kb3 214 engine, I don't have any fuel getting to the car by I think it must be the pump, cause when I fill the carby bowl, it runs fine till it runs out of fuel, must be the pump . I have taken the pump off and pulled it apart cleaned it, and put it back on, and but doesn't seem to pump any fuel up, what are your thoughts on this thanks.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:36 pm

Re: Electric fuel pump answer,

Sir, are you sure that the diaphragm has no holes,splits in it? Are you sure that you got it installed correctly? Just the two things that I can think of for it not to pump on the unit itself. Are you sure that the "pickup" tube is not full of gunk or have holes in it anywhere above the level of the fuel? Are all lines new for the fuel, even a pin hole could keep it from developing negative pressure to draw the fuel up. There are those that do not like the idea of an electrical pump, They will work, as long as low pressure. They will also "show" up any leaks. Have you checked your oil for fuel smell? All things off the top of my head.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Carby?? What is that??? Come on, Man.
I'll bet you did not bench test the pump while you had it out. You do not need anything exotic to do this test. Hopefully you have a mounted bench vise. Put the pump in the vise and hold it by the bolt flange. While moving the lever, put an extra finger over one of the ports and determine if there is vacuum. (finger sticks) The other port should make some pressure. ( finger get pushed away) If these ports appear to work close to the way they should, maybe your fuel line is plugged or maybe there is a corrosion hole in the pickup tube, in the tank. Is the fuel line from the tank to the pump good. A small leak anywhere in the fuel supply line will allow air in and fuel will not be picked up and transferred to the carburetor.
If after you have done some checking and you think you still need an electric pump, do yourself a favour and bypass the OEM pump. If the OEM pump seal and/or diaphragm fails, and it may have. it may be possible to pump fuel into the oil base in the oilpan.
Do you have the in and out ports of fuel pump oriented to the correct fuel flow? It is a good idea to control the voltage to the electric pump with the ignition circuit. Engine off, pump goes off. The electric fuel pump may require a pressure regulator if the pressure goes higher than a few pounds. Do not forget an in-line fuel filter.
I like to use a residual pressure regulator with a fuel return line to the fuel tank. this is the best way to eliminate vapor-lock. Be prepared to spend some money for this.
If your fuel system is in good working order the OEM fuel pump should be adequate.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:51 pm

Lloyd, I was typing as you were posting. We are saying the same things.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:43 am

G'day ibsq& nikkinutshop, thanks for your reply, well I did bench test the pump in a vise, it did seem to be working but not very good its " pumping & sucking, so that's why I put it back in I checked all the lines all good the fuel gets to the pump but doesn't go up to the carb, I put new lines in but nothing past pump, and if I put this electric one in, it's called a GOSS it's between a 3&=5,pumping volumes will take your advice and bypass the oem fuel pump this is a strange one, I would prefer the old pump but for the reliability I might just have to go electric. I have checked the oil it's good, pulled the pump apart diaphram looks ok, got me bugged.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:00 am

Has anybody else got an electric fuel pump and do they work OK with a carby, not to much pressure, how much pressure do you need, I don't want to blow the engine up.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:03 am

As long as the fuel pump lobe on the cam is good, then I would send your pump to Then and Now, for an overhaul. They do great work. There are many things that may not be evident with a simple "bench test" of moveing the level will not show. A worn lever or pivot is just one example.
Fuel pump pressure can effect "wet float level" in the float bowl in worse case can flood the carb by overcoming the float and continuously flow gas into the carb.
What pressure is needed? just enough to keep the float bowl full under all operating conditions. Many engines do fine with gravity feed.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:35 am

If considering an electric pump, this link to my website might be of interest:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Electr ... d_cars.htm

Jon.
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air!

If you truly believe one size fits all, try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner, The Carburetor Shop in Missouri

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:54 am

Hi all, I we'll I went from one problem to another, I had no fuel, and now iv got to much, it's flooding my manifold, so I might have to get a inline regulator, I thought electric fuel pumps cut out when the carb was full, (wrong I guess)! I'll have to try something else I think

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:29 am

:t3302: G'day combiner 89, so I just connected the electric fuel pump,to a push pull switch, just to prime the carb then it runs good from the oem pump it worked out fine thanks to all that replied , your are all so lucky to be in USA parts are just there well not far away, I love to look at all these topics get some good answers.
Next

Return to K and KB