KB2 Axle nut ..what size?

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:16 pm

KB2 Axle nut ..what size?

Hello.. OK.. so I am replacing the seals in the rear end, and I found my axle nut had jumped a thread...(it was loose). Upon closer inspection, it looked like it had been really abused sometime in it's past ( lots of hammer marks) ...I have been looking for a replacement, and had no luck..it measures out to be an inner diameter of 13 /16 inch, but that may not be right.. the parts book simply says part JJ nut.... nothing else. I want to chase the threads on the axle too and am looking to get the proper tap / die... anyone know what this nut size / thread count is? Also is it ''sacrificial''? (softer than the axle threads) ? I wouldn't mind pulling the axle out either, as I have considerable end play and do not think the outer race will make up for it even if it is flush with the housing.. really a simple repair going along badly....I can get the seals, but not the nut!! (I shouldn't even mention the tang washer... down to one tang barely hanging on...I will probably end up drilling for a cotter pin...Thanks, and take care! Mike

1949 KB2

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: KB2 Axle nut ..what size?

You can try a thread file on the axle. It’s usually pretty obvious which tpi to use when you match up to a good part of the threads.
Restoring a 1949 KB-3 with factory stake bed. Currently truck is stripped to frame, everything photographed, tagged, and bagged. Next step is frame to go to sandblaster.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Another axle with the nut maybe the answer. I may have one to fit. Would need measurements.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:24 pm

If you have a threads per inch (TPI) gauge, (Lowes, Home Depot, hardware store, Harbor Freight, auto parts store?) it will be more or less the determining factor. Most threads are cut to established standards and if you know the TPI, and take a rough OD measurement of the external threads of the axle, you'll be able to determine the size nut that goes on it. And you can be assured it won't be metric. I do know that IHC used a lot of fine threads on the trucks and so pay particular attention to coarse or fine threads. The other thing to watch out for is right or left hand threads. Once you know these things, you'll be good to go. As for the tang washer, make one out of some scrap sheet metal. If you don't have at least a hack saw, then you shouldn't be attempting any of this.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:47 pm

WEW, all of those details. You must be a Mechanical Engineer
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Thanks for the replies!!

..Did some figuring....

... I THINK the nut is 7/8 14 NC course thread. I used a tap and lined up the threads (wrong size but thread count is thread count.....I didn't want to order the die until I knew for sure, but I took the leap.. When it comes in I'll see if it's right.

Another axle is an option if this one doesn't clean up...gotta get it out first...I plan on using two nuts for the puller to grab onto..hope that works. The other side popped out in 5 minutes...

Mike

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:13 pm

There is a thread chaser tool with interchangeable dies for 6 or 7 different thread pitches, runs about $80 on Amazon. You can fix your axle and every other outside thread problem.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:27 pm

the nut is softer than the axle threads so it gives first,

Don't ask how I know, I found on in my parts bucket, but you can probably get one from Tacoma Screw or another vendor,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to K and KB