Engine Problems!!

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:25 am

Engine Problems!!

Hi guys we are from the UK and recently purchased a 1944 Kb and weve had a few problems. were mainly struggling on gettin her moving. We've got her to tick over fine but as soon as you try drive on the accelerator peddle it just dies. we are just after any info, tips and pointers as we really cant figure out why she keeps dying. We thought it was the carb so it had a little refurb but still the same problem, sits there running sweet then try drive it an it kills the engine??? We thought of changing the carb but cant find a replacement for the carter yf 0924 thats on it??? Its a 1944 ihc kb we will try get you guys some photos!! Hope you can help :)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Re: Engine Problems!!

From what you describe it sounds like your accelerator pump may not be working properly. When you push the gas pedal the engine is getting too much air which causes the engine to stop. With the engine off look down in the top of the carburator and work the throttle. If the accelerator pump is working you will see it shoot A stream of gas down the throat of the carburator. If you don't see it you probably have A blocked passage in the accelerator pump circut or the pump may need A new plunger seal installed. Goose

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Havent had a look at that so ill give it a try and let you know thanks

Phil

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm

goose wrote:From what you describe it sounds like your accelerator pump may not be working properly. When you push the gas pedal the engine is getting too much air which causes the engine to stop. With the engine off look down in the top of the carburator and work the throttle. If the accelerator pump is working you will see it shoot A stream of gas down the throat of the carburator. If you don't see it you probably have A blocked passage in the accelerator pump circut or the pump may need A new plunger seal installed. Goose

also can be partially clogged fuel line, fuel pump filter or all 4, getting enough gas to idle, but not enough to go,

blow out fuel lines, check pump for output, EZ. non gauge way is to diss-connect fuel line at carb, and poke into a jar or can, crank over engine, should be strong squirts into can, feeble dribble means something is wrong, if you have good output, put it back together,

look down into carb while working throttle, should be strong spray of gas, dribble or weak means what goose said,

my KB-6 would croak out like that, carb was rebuilt, new fuel pump, turned out original steel line from fuel tank had equivalent of molasses in it, old gas turned to goo, enough got thru to let it run, but not enough to go, I flushed it for a few days slow drip drip drip, cause I wanted "original" line, finally I just replaced it with rubber fuel line hose
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:41 pm

i 100% agree with goose and bedrockjohn.
but will and 1 more thing which is it could be a bad fuel tank as well.
reason being over time the tank can get rust and sludge build up.
which in turn will cause the rust/sludge to be sucked up into the fuel system.
so even though at an ideal if every thing bedrockjohn and goose told you to check out are fine it than could be the fuel tank.
reason being is at high rpms the pump with pull more presure which in turn more presure can cause sediment/rust/sludge to be sucked up at a higher rate.

all this said no matter what you find to be the problem at present i recomend that you throughly flush the fuel system and this consist of andinclude cleaning out the tank carb fuel line/sediment bowl on the fuel pump the fuel pump itself and blowing out the fuel filter if it has one.

lastly if it were me and it was my truck i would completely replace all the fuel line replace the old inline filter if it has one and if not i would add one and lastly have the tank cleaned/boiled out and reason i say this is because more than likely down the road one are all of the afore items is going to give you problems if they are not already due to there age.
robertkb48

Return to K and KB