Tie rod ends.

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Tie rod ends.

Working on a K2 need both Tie rod ends. Anyone have any extra? Need both ends...RH and LH threads.
Thanks.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:48 pm

Re: Tie rod ends.

If you just need to replace the inside parts and can reuse the housing, I think these cups and springs also fit in the tie rod ends. I think they are the same size as for smaller R trucks

https://oldinternationaltrucks.com/part ... 100110120/

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:59 am

ks ihc guy wrote:Working on a K2 need both Tie rod ends. Anyone have any extra? Need both ends...RH and LH threads.
Thanks.

Have you taken them off of the steering arms to inspect the ball studs? Also check the drag link and pitman arm ball studs. Mine were all worn badly. I'm dealing with the same thing including my steering box.

John

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:49 pm

I have taken them off the ball studs. I had taken everything apart and had taken the innards out of the tie rod ends. But I be darned if I can locate them now. I figure the steel fleas must have ate them.
The ball studs look good and everything seemed to be tight when I took them apart. I have all the innards to the tie rod ends.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:59 pm

kyoung Thanks for the lead you mentioned. It looks like they have the repair kits which some of the pieces look to be what I need in that when mine came apart one of the springs came out in 2 pieces. hate to spend 175.00 for one spring...will see.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:40 pm

Not sure without looking in the parts manual if KB2 is the same as KB1 but on my KB1 I used repair kit from Chevs of the 40's. Cups and springs were a match. "The Filling Station" has the same kit and gives spring dimensions in their description so you can compare size. At $30.00 for the kit might be a way to go as well.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:07 pm

What is the "the Filling Station"?
The 2 pieces I am looking for are the tie rod ends. I have all the innards for them but I have misplaced the 2 ends after I took everything apart.
Hope I am making sense here.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:08 pm

These are what svrew onto the tie rod itself and one has Right handed threads and the other one has left handed threads.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:52 am

"The Filling Station" is a chevy re-pop parts house that sells the repair kit to rebuild the tie rod end I thought you needed when you said you found a broken spring. I now understand you need the whole outer housing. I never researched a source (if there is one) for the complete assembly. There should be some used ones out there with all the IFS replacements being done unless they already made it to the scrap yard. I also remember seeing listed new style tie rod ends that you could retrofit but that may involve some machine work.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:18 am

Great information. I will look into that. Still researching/looking for the original part. I agree with all the rat rodding going on out there should be some out there finding them is the challenge.
Appreciate all the help.
Next

Return to K and KB