JUST VENTING

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:34 pm

JUST VENTING

I sent my Generator for my KB-3 out for a rebuild via UPS. Today I got the call from the shop that it arrived with a BENT PULLEY. I had it packaged up really nicely too. @#$)(@#$&@#$*(@(#*$@ :t0116:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Re: JUST VENTING

Bob4apples wrote:I sent my Generator for my KB-3 out for a rebuild via UPS. Today I got the call from the shop that it arrived with a BENT PULLEY. I had it packaged up really nicely too. @#$)(@#$&@#$*(@(#*$@ :t0116:

I hope this info helps someone.
I know how you feel. It is a sick feeling. In my boating era, I ordered a very expensive and rare marine toilet that I bought off Ebay. I could never find another. The person that shipped it trusted a box full of foam peanuts...I received nothing but pieces that you could do a mosaic with. I got a refund from the seller, he and I both lost the item and him the value. I ship most every day and I can tell you that all of the shipping services including the postal service...mishandle your packages. I now double box, and double all packing then reinforced tape on the box. A heavy piece will always flatten out the packing inside due to the adverse handling and the item ends up like a ping pong ball inside. You need tools to open my packages. lol
I used to buy usps "lots"...items that were open from bad packaging and poor handling. You would not believe the amount and variety of things that end up in the non-deliverable warehouses that go up for auction to the public. To see some, go to govdeals.com and search Atlanta Surplus Center, GA. You might have to wait a few days if nothing is shown available as they sell weekly. This is only one usps surplus center. There are others around the US. Also, if you do not have a receipt for an item you are shipping, do not waste your money on insurance. They will not pay if you do not have a receipt showing the item and it's cost to you. So used parts generally are not insurable because of this. I have found out the hard way and after 4 strikes I stopped giving them the money and spend it on packaging.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:55 pm

I will never ship again without double boxing.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:05 pm

There are two sides to this. No doubt packages are roughly handled, but also many packages are not pack well for shipment. Trucks and trailers aren't like placing the package on the seat next to for the ride to the shipping point. I refuse shipments that aren't packed well, and always hear " we ship like that all the time" but once I sign for it, it is my problem not theirs!
Boxes are marked for "burst pressure" but that isn't the weight you can put in them. As mentioned plastic peanuts and the like can settle and the item can be left un protected. It is why many shippers are going with expandable foam that fills the voids and surrounds the item. Heavy items like generators and starters are hard to package, they need multi ply cardboard and need to be held so they can't move in the packaging.
One of the hardest things to ship are engine brake heads, they are heavy and have delicate forked pistons the protrude from the heavy casting by about 2". I had three shipped and all were damaged by the time they arrived. The seller tried to blame the carrier, but he stacked the three in one single ply box with nothing between them, the box was too light for one head never mind three, and there was nothing to protect the pistons from snapping off. It wasn't the carriers fault, it was the packing at the shipper.
If you can shake the package and feel the item move, it is not packed well enough.
Everbody want their package to get there quickly, to do that they travel on conveaor belts and get bumped and tossed onto the trucks. Trucks and trailers ride much rougher than most realize, esp the short 28" pup trailers favored by LTL carriers. Short trailers allow for quickly breaking apart of doubles and triples to speed the whole trailer on to the destination, 48' or 53' trailers would require many more sortings to get the packages to where they need to go, each handling increases the chances of damage.
Remember, the the item can move in the box, it can break through the box!
Best packing is a purpose built crate made of plywood and has blocking inside to prevent the item from moving. cost a lot more to ship, but will protect the item from damage, or at least will show if it was mis handled or damaged by the carrier.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Same goes for fragile glass Items, I pack well, I can "football" it and the item is still in one piece.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:19 am

My Dad worked for a manufacturer of vacuum pumps/air motors, etc. They have their own trucks, but also shipped single pieces. I remember touring the plant back in the 70's and they were using the expanding foam already then. Squirt some in the bottom of the box, insert electric motor/pump combo wrapped in plastic bag, a little more foam on top and tape the box closed. No movement at all. Yes, it could be expensive for frequent parts shipping, but it could be worth it depending on the value of the item. I'm sure it all about time- getting it done faster is valued more now than doing the job right.

Return to K and KB