Diff mystery kb 3

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:31 am

Diff mystery kb 3

Does anybody know what the small steel plate is on top of a 47 kb3 diff housing is, it has a small plate intruding into looks like some slotted gears, in the diff housing, thanks any info would be welcome thanks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:54 am

Re: Diff mystery kb 3

Pic would help. I can't picture anything in my mind that I have seen that would be like what you described.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:24 am

DSC_6476-min.JPG
DSC_6481-min.JPG
Here's a pic.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:33 pm

IIRC it was a way to adjust the bearings for pinion depth and pre load.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:04 am

Hi Wylie, and yes that's the one, but I can't see how it would adjust the bearings, it's got about 4 slots in it do they move up and down,. Cheers.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 am

Would that be a way to get rid of any backlash in the pinion maybe.? I appreciate your answers thank you. And I love reading this whole site it's great.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 am

So you guys,could you tell me how do I send photos thanks,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:43 am

No, they would set where the pinion bearing sits (threaded adjuster) so the inner one sets pinion depth and is set to the setting etched on the gears when made, the front (outer) is then set to get the correct preload on the bearings.
Backlash is set by the carrier bearings (side bearings) after the pinion depth is set.
Once the gear set is set, it shouldn't change. backlash felt at the wheel end is most likely wear in the spider gears and thrust washers. It also could be wear in the side gears and splines.
If there is a lot of slop in the rear, you need to pull the center section and check it. If it was set up correctly from the get go, it should last a very long time as long as it has lube. Eventually bearings do wear and need to be replaced, but most often the settings don't change on a simple bearing replacement.
Backlash is checked with a dial indicator on the ring gear. Moving the carrier will change the backlash but also to tooth contact.
With 90 deg drive gears, changing one thing effects 2 or 3 others. Moving the pinion deeper into the ring gear will decrease backlash and will change where the contact pattern is on the gears, Same for moving the carrier (ring gear) closer to the pinion.
When a gear set is hobb'd at the gear maker, the set is run on a special machine to find where it runs best and quietest. then the setting is etched on the two gears along with a serial number, and from that point forward, they are a "married set" and shouldn't be separated.
Because the bearings are highly loaded, esp pinion bearings, which are loaded in two directions. Pre load is essential to prevent "hammering" of the bearings when load is applied and let off. It means there are many adjustments to be made, and made in the correct order to set up a set of hypoid gears.
Once pinon depth is established for a given gear set, it should never change, even if new bearings are installed.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks for that information, combiner 89, helps heaps, well I won't be moving anything in there then, the diff is good, I just didn't know what that was, cheers from down under, Australia.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:33 pm

For pics just go to the bottom "upload Attachment" Find your picture, click it, then you'll see the option to "place inline"
But before you do all of this.
Go to https://compressjpeg.com/ (Its all free no sign up or anything) go to upload files, find your picture, click on it. It will be downloaded to their site, then when you pic appears, put your mouse on it and click setting. A window below will appear, then slide the bar on the right to where the picture read no bigger than 500. Then click apply. Then go to top near first picture and click download. And drag your downloaded pics from "your downloads" on browser to your desktop's "Compressed Pictures" folder. What I do is make a folder next to original pictures that says "Compressed Pictures" (You have to make your pictures smaller than 515 Mb to post on forum. ) Then use the forum tools to grab the pic from the Compressed Pics folder.

Hope this help and enjoy the forum, lots of knowledgeable people here. Cheers form Texas!

Return to K and KB