windshield to cab gasket

The old and reliable.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:12 am

windshield to cab gasket

I need a gasket between the front windshield and cab on my 46 K1. I looked at Restoration Specialties and found http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/990055-ws-pre-cut/.

Is this correct?

My horn kept going off at a show last Saturday. The switch was shorting from the rain. I could get a water proof switch but i think a better solution would be to keep rain out of the cab.

Thanks,
rick

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Re: windshield to cab gasket

I don't know, I've got used to taking a bath along with my truck when it rains. It has been my experience that even with a new rubber strip it will leak when it rains, it is why there are drains from the windshield opening.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Yep, that's the one. It's a real trip to install, at least it was for me. I used a variety of nylon pry tools , like those at Harbor Freight for upholstery and trim clip work, dishwasher soap or WD-40 for lube, and at least one case of beer, as I recall. Lots of patience, too.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:33 pm

rick wrote:I need a gasket between the front windshield and cab on my 46 K1. I looked at Restoration Specialties and found http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/990055-ws-pre-cut/.

Is this correct?

My horn kept going off at a show last Saturday. The switch was shorting from the rain. I could get a water proof switch but i think a better solution would be to keep rain out of the cab.

Thanks,
rick

That's Not the right stuff, LOOKS like the right stuff, doesn't have the second smaller inner lip, or the molding line where it sticks out from frame,

there are a lot that are very similar looking,

these guys sell the right stuff,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-49-INTERN ... Sw0GJZncdb

Yes it's a pain to install, I've done 4 frames so far, if you adjust them right they won't leak, my KB-6 and my KB-1 panel both sit out in the weather and it can pour for days, dry floor,

it's tricky to get seal just right with 6 way adjustable upper hinges,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:23 am

Thanks for the correction, Jon, still learnin' . . . .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 am

It's not you, a couple suppliers sell the wrong stuff saying it's correct, how do I know? Found out the expensive way
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look at cleaning out the old material and see what I'm getting into.

I do have carry a towel and might look into a water proof horn switch.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:29 pm

rick wrote:I need a gasket between the front windshield and cab on my 46 K1. I looked at Restoration Specialties and found http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/990055-ws-pre-cut/.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
rick

The horn..Now that's funny! The windshield gasket is a bear to install. I had glass shop that cut my glass to install the windshield into frame and install the gasket. It was a shop that has done vintage vehicles since before they were vintage.
Restoration Specialties carries the proper windshield gasket, they supplied mine in the complete rubber kit. You can phone them and point out what may be a error in their ad.

Return to K and KB