Overheating Help?

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:38 am

Re: Overheating Help?

You are blocking off most of the air flow with all that sheet metal,

Gate all that out of there and make a simpler bracket system
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:27 am

As others mentioned, that fan is wayyyyy too small. I have one of the "cheap" aluminum radiators in my truck with nothing but the factory fan. It fit perfect and the thing never even tries to run hot. Could also be a good option for you. See if you can fit 2 small fans on the radiator if one large one isn't an option. The fans should be mounted right on the radiator with a minimal distance between the two.
'48 KB-1 Service Truck, '96 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins Dually Flatbed
'55 Willys CJ5 Jeep, '49 Chevy 3600 Deluxe
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Is that fan turning the correct direction? I would guess that fan blade is not bi-directional. This could be a BJ gone wrong.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Pitch and sweep shape of the blades appear that the fan is turning the wrong direction. Doubtful if fan would turn in the direction with the pointed end leading the way. Looks as though it would try to suck air from the engine to the grille.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:28 am

brianz wrote:Got about 3 inches of clearance water pump to OEM radiator.

Does anyone have a link to a radiator/fan until that will fit in the grill without a lot of fabrication?

If you use two fans and offset them so they aren't close to the water pump you might have enough room to install fans in the engine compartment. Usually it's the water pump that is closest to the radiator and there is more room to each side.

There are also aftermarket fans that have a very slim design. Also the motor of the fan usually stick out the most. If you offset the fan to one side you should be able to find a fan where the blades are able to fit between the rad and your water pump.

I would measure the size of your rad and go to a local pick a part and see what you can find that would fit. You should be able to pick out a dual fan setup from a vehicle that includes the shroud and all. From there mounting would be easy.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks all, some good suggestions. I picked up a new high cfm electric fan that can be wired as a pusher or puller. I'll see what kind of room I have to work with and mount as a puller if I have the room. I will remove all of the current bracketing for increased airflow and mount the fan directly on the radiator according to the new fan installation directions. I also got a smaller electric fan that I may use as a supplemental in the corner, offsetting the two. I picked up a new radiator cap as the old one seemed to have lost the spring tension completely. Also picked up some water wetter additive to try, don't know if this will help or not. I hope to give this all a try on Friday night and get it back together for a show on Saturday! Thanks for the help.

And the existing fan was turning in the right direction, pushing air through the radiator and into the engine compartment. (That's the correct direction, right?) Some had suggested the fan was not pushing in the right direction. I think the bracketing and not having the fan right against the radiator was limiting the cooling ability of the fan. Rat rod trial and error.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 am

Good luck, hope it works out for you
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:10 pm

I had my radiator for K1 rebuilt. Shop had a term(industrial??) for how they rebuilt it but they claimed it would cool any engine I dropped between the frame rails. My gauge never goes beyond 160 and the because by error I set the engine a bit low the shroud is not installed as it would interfere with mechanical fan.
Not a cheap process to have rebuilt but I did not want the issue of overheating which I see too often where a vintage automobiles original radiator fails to properly cool a modern engine.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:34 am

Update:
Tried to install the new fan using the plastic through-the-radiator anchors. Don't ever try that on an old radiator. Leaked like a politician. Back to radiator shop, now awaiting a new core. $562 total price quote. So while it is torn down, going to install a new water pump and belt as it's never going to be easier.
Attachments
Water pump access.jpg
Last edited by brianz on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:04 am

It is very likely the old radiator would have failed with an increase in pressure with the new cap.
Radiators can be expensive. The new copper and brass radiator for my 1940 Ford was $965, before tax.
My Ford has two electric fans. The second fan is for an intercooler for a supercharger. This fan is from a BMW 750 air-conditioning condenser. Fan one is a puller and mounted between the engine and the radiator.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB