kb-5 modifications

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:14 pm

Re: kb-5 modifications

cb89 i am glad we both understand 1another know and that every thing is good and we both have and are trying to help the op.
robertkb48

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:16 pm

A solid front axle can be narrowed. However, I consider myself a decent welder but I would hire someone better than I to do a job this important.

There are step by step instructions here-

http://stovebolt.com/techtips/bigbolts/p30swap/

Used to have nice pics but it looks like they are gone.

Might give you another option.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:08 pm

You may run afoul of motor vehicle laws cutting an welding on a forged axle. With trucks there are places that no welds are allowed and it would come down to the inspectors opinion... Not a place I would put myself. Not saying it hasn't been done before, but a little caution in this area can save a world of greif later. With a truck inspector, he is judge, jury and exicutioner, if he places the vehicle "out of service", its a $10,000 fine to move it and you have no recourse.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:31 pm

I've wondered if the best way would be to use a forge and a big trip hammer, but blacksmith shops are rarer than mint condition KBs nowadays.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:23 pm

just curious cornbinder89, where do you encounter truck inspectors for that kind of thing? have not heard of anything like that in Texas for personnel vehicles the age of these trucks. commercial vehicles i could undertand

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:58 pm

He said he was going to be towing a trailer. More and more the DOT cops are cracking down on trucks towing trailers, if the combined weight is over 10,000lbs you fall under their eye. For a long time they didn't look twice at pick-ups but with money crunch everywhere, they are just looking to write tickets, and for example, not haveing a log book and being over 10K is a good place to start. Most contractors hauling a skid steer behind a pick-up are finding out just how "enjoyable" it can be to sit an have a chat with these guys..
I am not saying that it will happen, but it sure could and better be ready when it does. I think we'll see more and more of it as the "belt tightening" takes effect.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:20 pm

a big truck repair shop can probably help with customizing an axle to fit, when my brother drove his 51 L-160 school bus right over a car, it bent his axle up real bad, a big rig shop put it right for him.

if you do have an axle narrowed, make sure you rub some dirt on it, so if smokey puts the hammer down, and starts giving your truck the stink eye,
you don't have to take it on the lam,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Previous

Return to K and KB