Price For IHC Trucks

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:01 am

Price For IHC Trucks

I am always checking Craig's List for old trucks. I have noticed the prices for Binders is going up. What used to be a $2,000 old truck 5 years ago is now at least $3,000 and pushing $4,000. Not that long ago you could get a decent driver quality KB for $6,000. Now it is $10,000. What are you guys seeing?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: Price For IHC Trucks

I see what you see. The Old IHC prices are on the rise in Canada, but there are some good deals to be had here. Saskatchewan was IHC country. Ralph, one of the board members posts IHC trucks for sale in his area About once a week.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:33 pm

I’m seeing asking prices all over the place, usually on the high to ridiculous side. I think a couple things are going on: First, prices for old trucks in general are going up because that’s what people want now, so more people are looking and buying. Second, word has gotten out, and anything with a cab and “patina” is now worth a small fortune in the minds of the sellers. I think that many sellers don’t factor in the inevitable cash discount for brand, bed length, and GVW. They mostly price things as though they are prime, running examples of the most desirable models. Reality suggests they aren’t selling at those inflated prices, but they’re not $500 anymore, either.

So yes, you might have to pay a bit more than 10 years ago. Chances are you can still find a good deal if you look around though.

At least you’re not into 1973-88 Chevy “Square Bodies”. Prices on those things have gotten out of hand lately. We used to treat them like old used trucks in high school. Shoulda been collecting them to pay for our mortgage in 25 years…

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 pm

The 49 KB2 parts truck I bought last Spring is all gone now. I kept the motor, tranny and a few small odds and ends. The rest sold quick to 3 different guys. It is now spread out from BC to New Brunswick! I think all the available Chevs and Fords have been restored so now it's time for the rest of them. Maybe more after market parts for IHC will become available?

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:02 am

There are a lot of Chevy and Ford trucks still tucked away. Maybe it’s regional, but I can’t believe how many 1948-54 Chevy trucks still turn up in survivor condition. They just made so many of them. The Fords are close behind. More than anything, I suppose people are looking for something different. I always liked Studebaker trucks, so IHC was a natural choice as well.

Prices still have to reflect reality though. Here are a couple examples of unjustified high hopes for IHC tin:

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4611701?ad_cid=19

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4612047?ad_cid=20

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:25 am

You can look up values for antique cars and trucks on NADA. I always thought the numbers they gave where pretty high but okay for insurance purposes. They show over $20,000 for a good running driver quality KB and over $40,000 for a perfect one. I also have a 1952 Chevy half ton (restoration in progress). The Chevy is 30% higher. I also read in one of my old truck magazines that values are rapidly rising. I always figured prices for old truck and cars where pretty stable with only modest increases unless it was a highly sought one of a kind vehicle. I mentioned to my wife last night that maybe I should list the KB1 for sale and see what happens. She told me no, which sort of surprised me. She reminded me that I bought it and restored it to have something fun to drive around in the summer.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:39 am

The consumer sets the selling price.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:24 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:The consumer sets the selling price.

I agree that the buyer has a lot to do with setting the price but so does the seller. Both have to come to an agreement. There are just as many buyers trying to get something really cheap as there are sellers trying to sell things too high. Both have about the same success rate. I think the NADA prices are probably 30% to 40% too high, at least for where I live, but that still is an substantial increase from just a few years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:42 pm

What I said is all a person needs to know. The selling price, however it was arrived at, is the out the door value. A seller can ask any price. A buyer makes the ultimate decision to buy or walk. There is nothing more complex about this.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:17 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:What I said is all a person needs to know. The selling price, however it was arrived at, is the out the door value. A seller can ask any price. A buyer makes the ultimate decision to buy or walk. There is nothing more complex about this.

The seller has equal say in the price. The price is only made when a deal is met. Before the deal is made there is no price there are only offers. And yes the buyer has full control over what he offers. The seller has full control over accepting the offer (there by setting the price) or declining the offer. The seller saying no is walking away from the deal just the same as the buyer say no.
Next

Return to K and KB