Kingpin set for 49 KB

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Kingpin set for 49 KB

49 KB1. OK ..just got rejected for the annual safety inspection. Everything passed EXCEPT the front wheels. Was told that there is too much vertical in-out movement. I ,of course, didn't think so. I checked on our RMV web site for the regulations which showed me that a 1/4 " free play at the top or bottom of the tire was acceptable. I measured it as per RMV instruction, jacked the vehicle up and with my grandson locking the brakes discovered there was somewhat over an 1/8" free play. I returned to the inspection station and advised them of what I had found. He was too busy with other inspections and told me he thought the free play had been excessive ( without measuring ). No sticker was forthcoming. I left for home and decided to change the kingpins. I have removed one and found it to 5 3/8" long by 3/4" diameter. The bottom is .004/.005 worn .The top not as much.

I'm thinking maybe have the pins trued up and increase the bushing size.Or maybe I should replace the sets with new if I'm able to find them. I'm thinking that there maybe others that will fit.

Any suggestions ?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:34 am

Re: Kingpin set for 49 KB

Those sound like the ones Jupes is looking for for his D-2 in the 1940 and older forum.- Stickman 207

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 am

OK; I found king pin sets that are.0749 x 5.375 with bushings and bearings etc. Rare parts # 30820 at FRC Machine. They’re also sold through Bonanza for a little less money. FRC $252.99. Bonanza $227.99.
The sets are listed for a 1931-1933 Auburn.

Don’t know fitment yet. According to my reading of the micrometer they should be fine. I do not know the OD of the Auburn bushings ..hoping they are 7/8”..if not I will use 3/4 x 7/8 x 1 from other source.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:11 am

0.749 x 5.375

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:34 am

49 KB1 KINPIN REPLACEMENT. Just a follow-up to sourcing and installation; I did not go with the Auburn parts I found on the web. A local shop that sold and repaired International trucks for a very long time still had access to the bearings that I needed. The parts counter guy was very helpful and found a kingpin source in Washington State.

The kingpin kit set cost me $220.00. The pin size was correct but the slot for the pin lock bolt was not and I had to grind it to match the existing . It came with bronze bushings but no grease holes (which I drilled out) Maybe they were impregnated but I don’t think so.

Fitting the new pins was a little slower than expected . After pressing in the bushings the I.D. shrunk and I don’t own a reamer that size. An old kingpin , sand paper from 220 down to 800 did the trick with a lot of elbow grease.

Everything got new high performance grease. I now have the new inspection sticker attached to the windshield.

Return to K and KB