Dry lifters ?

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:03 am

Dry lifters ?

1949 KB1,GRD 214. In a post some time ago I talked about a “skree” noise that comes and goes. Someone suggested that I record and post it. I am not capable of doing that. I have eliminated the water pump (just had it rebuilt). I can maybe describe the noise a bit more; when I first start the truck I can clearly hear the lifters until oil quiets them (very quickly). While driving I think that is the sound I am hearing. It comes and goes...more pronounced running up some rpm between gears. I run at about 50 psi oil pressure while driving along and over 20 psi at idle. I have installed a sock type oil filter and insure that my oil is at the proper level. It can be somewhat unnerving as I can hear it more pronounced while running parallel to a wall. Another poster suggested maybe the flywheel bolts; although I did not pull the transmission, I did remove the inspection cover and everything looked clean and tight.

Maybe oil filter routing or too much oil through filter ? Grabbing at straws !

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:23 am

Re: Dry lifters ?

Not oil or filter
try taking the fan belt off and running the engine up to where you hear the noise. If it is one of the accessories it will not make the noise.
Throw out bearing is a possibility, but noise should change with foot on the clutch or off
Dry bushing in the generator are possible but they would last long if they are that dry.
Can't help more without hear the noise and the area it is coming from.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:37 am

Sounds like symptoms of a slipping fan belt if not constant, and you hear it with rpm increase,

GATES makes ones with "teeth" on inner side, and they don't slip like the smooth ones,

Just a guess
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:03 pm

All good thoughts. Can’t take it for a spin right now as I am hunting down kingpins but I will try running up the rpm a little while in the garage with and without the fan belt. Can,t remember hearing the noise while stationary but that doesn’t mean much as sometimes I forget what day it is. May be leaning toward the throw out bearing but it is nice and quiet at idle and when engaged with the pressure plate. Funny; when I first noticed it I went around and tightened all the bumper bolts and checked to see if the hood may be shaking a little. I also checked the chains on the tailgate hooks. The chains rattling is probably closer to the sound I’m hearing. I will continue my pursuit.

Return to K and KB