I need a hug. Any "Cheap SOBs" here?

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:44 pm

I need a hug. Any "Cheap SOBs" here?

I have been restoring old cars and car parts for over 50 years. I know there are companies out here doing repro products. For the most part they do a great job and I have used them often. Only because I couldn't do the restore myself. I have made parts for everything from cars to vintage woodworking machines to sewing machines and now a 1947 IHC KB-2 truck.

I do it because I like reproducing the part I need. Recently I was called a cheap SOB from THE CHEAPEST SOB I have ever know. Talk about irony!
I explained that I did this because I like to.

Am I weird, or are there other "Cheap SOBs" doing this?
1947 KB-2
1952 Morris Minor MM (RHD)
1984 Mercedes Benz 380SL
2000 BMW 528i (240,000 Mi.)
1979 Benelli G2 Moped (39 Mi.)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Re: I need a hug. Any "Cheap SOBs" here?

You are weird for thinking you have to ask. Maybe you need a little positive recognition instead of a hug. Don't come here for a hug, you might get kicked in the butt.
If you are getting the comments that bother you from members of any forum, that is to be expected. All forums, including this forum, to a much lesser degree, have peanut-gallery critics. Unless a person can show me something they built anything they have to say or criticise has no credibility here.
I am 73 this year and I have not mellowed in my old age, in fact I have become much less tolerant. Many of the guys I used to ride with and liked have died and the few who remain and occasionally visit know their "place".
My neighbours seldom visit and this is the way I like it. Years ago I put prices on everything, no more free-bees and the visitor line-up dropped to zero.
I build lots of parts for my projects. I have to say, my finished parts look good and work really well. I know this to be true, so I don't need some less understanding person to give their affirmation.
I was reminded recently that I do not have an ME after my name, but, I have a weekend OBGYN to help me to better deal with these "special cases".
One of the last persons to visit here by invitation was lbesq .
One of my neighbours was trying to put a non-OEM transmission in his 1962 Corvette. I refused to cut up original parts so I made a perfect fit adapter/bracket. In a very short time he started to complain and since he had not paid the agreed price, my first thought was, "He does not want to pay". I checked the bracket for fit and it was perfect. I took the bracket out and after returning to the shop, I had my son cut the bracket into little pieces with the plasma cutter. He tried to make peace with beer. I took the beer and would not let him in the shop to share in the refreshments. I do miss his downstairs renter. She used to walk around his back yard naked while she tried to get a little sun tan. I made her wear shoes in my shop. The welding could wait.
BTW, your use of "irony" may be correct. Many persons confuse irony with coincidence.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Your not weird, i try to repair or make a new what ever it is i need because i do not have an endless supply ££££££'s. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:44 am

My favorite quote:
“Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
are awake through years with transferred touch, and go on glowing
for long years.
And for this reason, some old things are lovely
warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.”

― D.H. Lawrence

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:01 am

It's not about the money , but can cost as we all know . The other night as I was driving my truck home , I recolected a very early experience I had with a go cart , homemade iron frame ,2 1/2 hp motor ,it was a hand me down , and how it felt to actualy get that thing going down the side walk , and it never went for long but when it did ...very rewarding . I have spent a lifetime recreating that . And there is nothing like fixing something from the dump that some dope has thrown away because they didn't even try to fix it . It's about determination .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:13 pm

The way I see it, we need both sides of this topic. There are guys who for many reasons did not get to experience the joy and enthusiasm of watching a dad, grandfather, uncle, of close family friend (mentor) making parts from scratch. For this guy who finally got interested in doing something with an old truck because it’s become a really interesting hobby, he’ll probably need a pre-fabricated part along the way. But for the guy who learned at dads side or under grandads tutiledge, or even in a shop class of some kind, making parts is a time honored tradition. One we need more of. It is important to teach our off-spring these skills or the ability to do something for yourself will fade into oblivion. I learned a lot of engineering from watching my dad struggle with parts and replacements. The same with my grandad, who was a blacksmith in the army during WWI. Watching them make repairs, making parts if needed, taught me to keep my hands and mind active and to attempt to understand how things are made. The more we teach youngsters about making and building, the better they are going to be for it. Don’t degrade yourself by thinking you’re a cheap-skate. Take pride and be thankful you learned how to make those parts. Pay it forward by teaching some youngster to make parts, too!
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:07 pm

I did all my work on my trucks, 1. because no parts were available back then, 2. no one would work on the, 3. I'm a cheap sommbitch
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:46 am

I like making stuff which fits very well with being frugal. I enjoy sheet metal shaping so I make most of my body patch panels. My first project truck was a KB1. I had no choice but to make my own patch panels. I am working on a Chevy now and could buy all of the sheet metal parts but I am making them. I learned how to do this by watching YouTube videos. Instead of watching television I watch videos in the evenings. I love Harbor Freight. I can get sheet metal shaping tools on a hobbyist budget. They take some extra effort to improve them but they do function. If I had to buy all of the name brand tools I could not afford to be in the hobby.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:00 am

I admire all that are capable of making needed parts. I worked in a machine shop many years ago. If I had room and machines I,d try to do exactly the same thing. Hats off to all that are industrious enough and intelligent enough to keep this dying art ( for lack of a better word ) alive.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:54 pm

I would not go so far to call metal forming a "dying art". Here in Canada our trade schools still have apprenticeships in the metal trades and metal forming is a trade. I can think of maybe a dozen top end restoration shops in this area that do metal forming. Metal forming could be ship building, machine shop lathe work and milling, metal spinning and forming sheets of metal for automotive restoration.
My friend has a Made in England English wheel, pneumatic planishing machine and the oldest of metal forming tools, a hammer and a sand filled leather bag on a stump. I have and use the sand filled leather bag. I made a stand to hold my leather metal forming bag. The top of the stand is a 18 inch round two inch thick steel cut-out. this gives the bag lots of stability. I have and use English bumping hammers, often. Some of the bumping hammers are from EASTWOOD and my favorite is a 100 year old bumping hammer made from Lignum vitae. This wood is so dense it will not float on water.
I have made cab corners for the L&R IHC cabs with the sandbag and finished the work with an inexpensive import planishing hammer. Don't ask. I will not make a cab corner for you.
My 1940 Ford had lots of metal forming on the new reproduction inner fender aprons to clear and accommodate the charge-air ducting from the supercharger to an intercooler and then on to the intake manifold.
The trade must not be all that near to death because there are more than a few American companies selling and or building metal forming machines. Eastwood and Mittler Brothers are two that come to mind.
The ever popular English Wheel is still in production. The prices of these machines are in direct relation to how well they work. If a person pays a few hundred bucks for an import wheel, they will not get the same finish in a comparable amount of time as you might expect with an expensive English wheel. I was bidding on a proper made in England, English Wheel and my last bid of $2000 was not enough to win. I worked with the guy who out-bid me. I know he never uses the wheel.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=english+ ... 20&bih=963
My first trade was in Sheetmetal. I did a four year metal forming apprenticeship in the early 1960s.
After buying the machines to move metal I do not see where I saved any money. I suppose the only real benefits I got after spending lots of money on machinery was being able to do what I want, when I want, in a way I want it done and then having the satisfaction of having done a job that will be as good as anything I could buy if it were available.
Next

Return to K and KB