I need some advice on pricing

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 pm

I need some advice on pricing

What is a reasonable price for a running/clean GRD 214? I am parting out my trucks drivetrain from engine to rear axle and I don't know really how to go about pricing. Any advice would be great.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 am

Re: I need some advice on pricing

That is a $64 question if I ever saw one. lol

I recently bought a complete KB-1 chassis with good axles and a running 214 on it for $300. There is also another running 214 on my local craigslist here in Iola, TX for $100.

BUT - in my experience, stuff like this is really worth what someone else who wants it worse than you do is willing to pay for it. SO - you might find someone willing to pay you 5 or 6 or 7 hundred bucks for it....or you might find out you can't even give it away.

The best thing you could do (probably) is take it to a large automotive swap meet - where people from all sorts of special interest genres are going to congregate. You'd be more likely to get a premium for it at a place like that. Especially if you can set it up on display and be able to start it and run it for any prospective buyers.

Good luck!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:11 am

Should you decide to send it to the "crush" yard, you might want to take off things like the starter, Generator, sending units, carburator, What I call the Smalls. Those are the things that someone might need.
Just a thought, Hope you can find someone who needs the whole motor.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:46 pm

post in industrial supply sections of craigslist or other forms,

the 214 was used in a few old forklifts, and other stationary engines,

I sold one to a guy for his forklift, he was estatic to finally find one,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:46 pm

first out of the 13 plus k/kb 1 thru 5s i have parted i have only had 1 good complete running grd 214.

this said i sold the complete motor&truck 4 speed trans and i mean 100% complete from the fan on the motor to down to the in tire ebrake assembly on the trans so there for the motor&trans were 100% complete with not a part 1 missing not even a nut are bolt.

yet i could tell the motor was not the orgional and instead it was a replacement from more than likely a k/kb 1 thru 3.

as well as the normal stock motor would have bin the grd 233 even though you could have specail ordered a grd 214 in a kb 5.

next the guy that bought it had a 48 kb1 pickup that was a survivor and in pretty good shape still fot its age.

how ever the motor was seized tighter than a rock and he did not want to spend the money to have it rebuilt as his plan is to drive it as.

so he wanted an orgional used motor instead of a new nice clean shinny freshly rebuild motor so everything on the truck would look orgional and period correct and worn like the rest of the truck is.

this said he offered me $400 for the complete motor&trans package before i could even say i word.

which totaly amazed me and caught me off gaurd and shocked me that any one would offer yet alone pay this much for a grd214 as of what i have found there is little to no demand for them any longer as most people have are there getting rid of there grd and updating to a more modern streetable drive train.

i took his offer with no hesitation as i was thinking if i was luckly i could maybe get 50 to 100 dollars for the carb start gen air cleaner and all the small stuff i could un bolt of the motor.
than i would have to have the rest of the motor and the trans hauled off for scrap due to the fact there is little to no demand for the stuff any longer.
i feel luckly to have got anything for the motor trans instead of just throwing them away/scrapping them.

further more there is no real steady market to follow when it comes to the old grd series motors so there for there is real no way to give you a price range.

lastly the best advise i can give you is the same as most will and already have which is the motor/trans&rear end are only worth what you wil take and what some one else is willing to pay for them as well as to sell them you have to find one one that wants one.
hope this helps robertkb48

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:30 pm

There is a running 214 engine and 4spd transmission listed in my local Craigs list for 250.00

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:25 pm

I paid $250 for a complete chasis and running engine GRD214. Remember, the GRD214 and GRD233 were pretty much the same engine except for the stroke, and harmonic balancer. If I remember correctly only 9 HP difference, although the GRD233 had a bit more torque. In the end, all sorts of parts swap, so investing in a GRD214 if you have a GRD233 is NOT a bad thing. I bought mine for parts, including the "smalls".

Return to K and KB