GD 214 rod bearing.

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:13 pm

GD 214 rod bearing.

In process of rebuilding my engine. Found 10 under rod bearings but the oil holes do not match so I am redrilling the new bearing to match the holes on the rod. the old bearings in the rod caps has no holes in them for oil. Is this the way they come from the factory? How does the bearings in the rod caps get oiled?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: GD 214 rod bearing.

see below
Last edited by DOXIN on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1947 KB-2
1952 Morris Minor MM (RHD)
1984 Mercedes Benz 380SL
2000 BMW 528i (240,000 Mi.)
1979 Benelli G2 Moped (39 Mi.)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:14 pm

DOXIN wrote:
ks ihc guy wrote:In process of rebuilding my engine. Found 10 under rod bearings but the oil holes do not match so I am redrilling the new bearing to match the holes on the rod. the old bearings in the rod caps has no holes in them for oil. Is this the way they come from the factory? How does the bearings in the rod caps get oiled?

Where is the hole in the rod? Centered or offset?
If the hole is centered (like the silver diamond engines) the wrist pin bushings MUST be checked for excessive wear. ANY movement is too much.

Oil fed wrist pin bushings wear much more than splash fed bearings, beware!

The rod bearings in that engine are oiled through holes in the crankshaft.

BTW: I have OFTEN seen oil fed wrist pins with a groove worn into the hardened steel pin and virtually no wear to the bushing.

Anyone want to guess why?
1947 KB-2
1952 Morris Minor MM (RHD)
1984 Mercedes Benz 380SL
2000 BMW 528i (240,000 Mi.)
1979 Benelli G2 Moped (39 Mi.)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:55 pm

no oil needs to get behind rod cap bearing, AND as stated unless your rods are drilled up to wrist pin no hole needs to be in that bearing either, oil only needs to get to wear areas, there is no wear area behind a bearing, unless it spun
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:32 pm

The rods have an oil passage to oil the wrist pins. I guess then I need to drill new holes in the bearing that will go in the rod to match that hole. I will not worry about doing anything with the bearings that go in the caps. Does all this sound right? The pistons are new with new wrist pins. Hope to get started putting the engine together this weekend.
Thanks to all for the information.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:14 pm

Do you have a Service Manual? It gives you all the clearances & info for rebuilding the engine. It outlines how to install the piston pins and as noted, you want to make sure the bushings in the rods are not worn out. Tolerances too high will allow more oil than needed to bleed out and this can effect oil pressure/oil supply to where it is needed. The manual also notes that the connecting rods have an offset and need to be re-installed in the correct bores. So just pointing out there are a number of things that a manual will help with.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:12 am

I have checked the wrist pin bushing and they are a little loose. Where can new ones be found? I have not Googled anything to see what might be out there. I am going to contact Egge Machine in CA. to see if the have them. I bought the .30 over pistons from them.
I do have the shop manual for the GD engine.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 am

I have found new wrist pin bushing got them coming.
Egge machine in Sante Fe Springs, CA.
6.36 each.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:34 pm

good deal
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 am

On the rear main bearing is there a rope seal that goes in the block and the bearing cap? In the gasket kit I got there is 2 pieces of a grey rope looking material. I trimmed them to length in each half.
Here is the problem with all caps in place and the bolts not even close to being torque I cannot turn the crank shaft. If I remove the rear main cap then I can turn the shaft . I have the block on a stand and I have the other rope material that I know go in the smaller vertical holes on each side of the rear main. Would the grey rope material cause the crank to be hard to turn? I can turn with a pry bar on the dowel pins for the flywheel. I have read the service book and I cannot find anything related to this. I remember when I tore the engine down taking the stuff out of the vertical holes but do not recall having to remove anything out of the rear main cap or the block.
Hope all this makes sense.
Thanks.
Mike.
Next

Return to K and KB