Kb5 fireing order

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:39 am

Kb5 fireing order

Hello good to see the site up and running again.need help with my kb5. Need fireing order,and how to adjust timeing. Thanks so much. Mike

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:30 am

Re: Kb5 fireing order

Mkolo wrote:Hello good to see the site up and running again.need help with my kb5. Need fireing order,and how to adjust timeing. Thanks so much. Mike

If someone does not answer soon, PM to Jim Hadfield he has a KB5, he is a little busy putting the site together but should be able to answer if someone else does not.
Lloyd

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:08 pm

I will double check when I get home from work and reply with the information you need.
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:00 pm

This may seem a little long-winded, but I am quoting directly from the original operator’s manual:

“Before attempting ignition timing, see that gap between the dist. breaker points is between .018 to .024 inch. Points must be clean, free from pits and seating squarely on each other.”
“Remove the number one spark plug (radiator end). Crank engine by hand until number one piston is coming up on compression stroke. This can be determined by holding thumb over spark plug hole. When piston is coming up on compression stroke, a strong pressure will be felt forcing thumb away from hole.”
“Continue to turn the crank slowly until timing notch on the crankshaft pulley is directly in line with the timing pointer on the gear case cover. If by chance, when cranking, the notch is turned beyond the pointer, start over by cranking engine until number one piston is again coming up on the compression stroke; continue cranking until the notch and pointer are directly in line. This will prevent backlash from affecting the timing.”
“Remove the distributor cap and spark plug cables. Be sure the distributor advance indicator (on the distributor body) is on the zero mark. Next, loosen distributor clamp screw and turn distributor body clockwise until contact points just start to separate, with the breaker arm rubbing block on the leading side of the cam lobe. Lock distributor in this position by tightening the clamp screw. When turning the distributor body, lightly press the rotor in the opposite direction of rotation so as to take up all backlash in the distributor drive. Replace the distributor cap”
“The distributor is now in firing position for number one cylinder, and number one sparkplug cable must be assembled in the distributor cap in the terminal hole directly above the rotor arm. The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 and the spark plug cables must be assembled in the distributor cap in this order and in a counter-clockwise direction.”
“To recheck timing, turn on the ignition switch and slowly crank engine until number one piston is coming up on compression stroke. Hold the plug end of number one sparkplug cable ¼ inch from cylinder head and continue cranking until a spark occurs. At this point, timing notch on the pulley should be directly opposite pointer on gear case. If not in line when spark occurs, distributor must be re-timed.”
“If fuel of a high anti-knock value is used regularly, slightly more economy can be obtained by advancing spark timing from the normal setting, which is zero on the distributor adjustment indicator. If low-grade fuel, or fuel low in anti-knock value, is used regularly, it may be necessary to slightly retard spark from the normal setting”

Damm, I have not typed that much in a LONG time!
"If this was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:34 am

Kb5 fireing order

Thanks guys for info on fireing order kb5. Running again Mike

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:33 am

Don't you guys remember the old saying:

15 is too young
36 is too old
24 is just right

And thus the fireing order of most straight 6 motors.

The saying doesn't make as much sense as it used to, but I guess that's what happens when you get old.

Bud

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:35 pm

buddawson wrote:15 is too young, 36 is too old, 24 is just right
Bud

Learned that back in high school auto shop, waaaaaay too many years ago, never forgot it. Haven't seen an inline 6 with a different firing order yet.

Return to K and KB