KB5 Tail Light Fabrication

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:56 pm

KB5 Tail Light Fabrication

My brother's 1948 KB5 box truck was originally fitted with a single dual element brake/marker tail light at the top left rear above the door. It is a round red domed lense set on a 1" metal ring that has about a 2" cutout on the right side that allows the marker light to illuminate the license plate which mounts right next to it. Along the way the wires were cut and the light no longer works.

In its place were installed two Model A tail lights below the diamond plate step bumper which look out of place and don't reflect the "era" of the truck - and I don't like them.

Gathering items to rewire the truck, I wanted a tail light that would be more fitting of the truck and somewhat match the original brake/marker tail light ( which I will get working again). Doing a web search I found the perfect tail light at Speedway Motors. It is a 1950 Pontiac tail light which is round, has a chrome outer ring, with a domed lense that is glass - not cheap plastic. Speedway part number is 911-37050 at a cost of $24.99 each. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway ... ,3079.html I originally bought 2 to see how they looked, but will need 4 of these as you will see. I will have a left turn signal, right turn signal, and 2 brake lights. All 4 lights will be hooked up as marker lights as well.

I work for a major tractor-trailer trailer manufacturer at one of their branches (like a car dealership) where we sell new & used trailers, parts, and have a big service shop to work on them. Looking at the size of the tail lights I got to thinking. They looked almost like the same size as the round tail lights found on the back of our trailers. These lights pop into a round rubber gasket that is set into the cut out hole at the rear of the trailer. We also have trailers with a plate that gets welded to the trailer and tail light assembly fitted as above - which we were cutting off to do some custom installation work.

I brought home one of the plates that had been cut off and the round rubber gaskets to see if I could work with it in fitting the 1950 Pontiac tail lights. Bingo! They are a perfect fit when inserted into the rubber gaskets just like the trailer tail lights. What I had to do is remove the rubber seal/gasket supplied with the 1950 lights in order to press them into the gaskets. To secure them, I will fashion a clip that will slide over the mounting stud on the back of the Pontiac light and tighten it down enough to keep the light from popping out. A simple oversized stainless steel fender washer might just do the trick with a locking nut.

I provided photos of the plate, rubber trailer tail light gaskets, and Pontiac lights. My crude drawing gives you the dimensions of the plate which is 3/16" steel, the hole diameters for the tail light gaskets, and the spacing of these holes. The rubber gaskets can be had at any trailer repair shop or parts supplier and should be the same from trailer manufacturer to another as all the tail lights are the same size and generally pop in (although the higher priced LED lights are now being secured with pop-rivets to prevent theft). Mine are from Great Dane Trailers and have all the necessary "lips" to fit into the cut outs and fit the Pontiac light down into them.

Should be better functionally, look good on the KB5, and be more "era correct" than the Model A tail lights.
Attachments
01  KB5 Taillights.JPG
02  KB5 Taillights.JPG
03  KB5  Taillights.JPG
04  KB5 Taillights.JPG
05  KB5 Taillights.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:21 pm

Re: KB5 Tail Light Fabrication

I like it! A very clean install. Thanks for the write up.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:45 am

Nice, gonna look great,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:12 pm

When do we get to see them installed? Very nice!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:15 pm

Glad you guys liked my lights. I hope to get them bolted in in the next few weeks if the weather cooperates. Then I will get to rewiring everything. Trying to do it "right" by soldering wires, using pull-apart-plugs, and fuses.
I will most likely start a new "Subject" that will cover my rewiring saga. Figured it might help some in the future.

I am also adding LED overhead lighting inside the box body. My brother is thinking of setting up the interior as a bit of a traveling show where tourist/visitors will walk up a set of stairs at the passenger side door, walk through the box, and then out the back doors down a set of steps. He is thinking of setting up a small HO train set on a table along one side of the box with train memorabilia on the wall as a back drop. He is planning on putting a "wrap" on the outside of the box having graphics advertising his tourist/dinner train and a companion companies "Rail Explorers" which uses part of the track that he does not. It generates a lot of visitors which means it draws customers to his train - so he established a working arrangement with them.

You can check out the Rail Explorers and some pics of his line mixed in there. His line is the Rhode Island Division. A couple of neat clips you can watch. https://www.railexplorers.net/gallery

Return to K and KB