K6 split rims w/ lock rings

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:55 am

K6 split rims w/ lock rings

As Cornbinder had mentioned the tubeless rims don't appear they will work! I told them what he said...but they didn't agree. So now they don't know what to do! I'm thinking I may need to purchase a split rim/ solid lock ring rim....I think made by Goodyear as one of my front rims was a 3pc GM rim. It's lick ring was all sprung and very rusted. Tire guy thought it should not be used. I live in western Ohio so I may have to pick up or pay for shipping. Let me know if you have decent extra rims you might part with!
Thanks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Re: K6 split rims w/ lock rings

It doesn't have to be the Goodyear design, it just has to be narrow enough to work and clear everything. Only if you want a "period correct" restoration do you need the Goodyear designed rim. Should make it a little easyer if not looking for only one brand of rim.
If your tire shop is willing to stand behind what they say, and give a complete refund if the rims and tires have any interference, including duel spacing then let them prove it! I am open to being proved wrong about what is out there, I just know a 8.25x22.5 rim will not clear everything even tho it will fit on to the spokes. On the front, the tie rod sits closer to the hub than axles with wider rims, This will likely lead to the wheel or tire hitting the tie rod on hard turns, On rear the spring sit outboard of the frame and will hit the inner tire, and duel spaceing is determined by the rim and spacer band. the spacer band is determined by the hub. Wider rims require wider hub and spacer band, you can not change the spacer band width, the wedges will not work, as wedges and spacer band are a function of spoke width.
Last I looked, Accuride and Alcoa had dropped all the narrow 22.5 rims and many if not all their 20" rims.
They used to list even the new hub pilot in 20" but dropped at last look.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:37 pm

Follow me, here. I'm not a major stockholder of YRC Freight, but...
They just don't charge that much to ship things half-way across the country. They charged me $140 to move a 900 lb mill from Colorado to California.
The load has to be palletized? Probably.
California still has dry versions of the rims you want. Every "boy" that buys one of these 30's/40's 1.5 ton trucks gets six or seven wheels. First thing they want to do is jettison the odd and heavy 20" spoke wheels.
With the price of metal going up they are being junked, again. However, these rims are still out there.
I junk out every heavily pitted "sharp" truck rim as soon as I find it. Maybe saving someone's life? But there are so many good ones here.
Don't give up so easily.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:50 pm

I sent two of the rims in question to someone in the Carolina's via Estes and the cost was over $200, they were palletized. Prices vary so check 1st.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Think of Fastenal shipping also.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Fastenal won't ship to CA, BTW.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:28 pm

Did not know that, wonder why?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:04 am

Because CA sucks in many regards. I'm stuck here for sure, though.
CA OSHA just sent us fines totalling $6400 mostly based on one unsecured pedestal grinder.
I've appealed.
We got hit with a "task force" last fall of CA OSHA, State Labor Board, EDD, Bureau of Automotive Repair. Four agencies at once!
Unprecedented for us. Miserable.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Insanity! Sorry you have to deal with that. Several agencies you mention that far exceed their original purpose. Glad I am retired and Glad I live in Idaho. My one bout with OSHA, involved my Dry Cleaners, Their ideas for safety were not based in reality. I asked them to provide me with copies of the "rules" and "laws" under which they were making their judgement. They could not. Dry Cleaners deal with Steam and Hot surfaces, and automated equipment. Training is what it is about and if the employee is to not competent enough to do the job, they are fired. Hope you win your appeal. It should have been a "get that secured" notice and perhaps a recheck to make sure it was. They only want money to pay their inflated salaries.

Return to K and KB